Vellum pin constraint creating erratic lines connecting separate strings

bentway23

I'm getting this weird connecting-of-strings when I try to run a pin constraint vellum sim? (One pic shows how it should be.)  (They're pre-animated, just need to break the pins and fall to the ground.) Long story:  I've run a vellum string sim on some letters for what will be squirmy worms. It's simulated "on it's back"/on the floor for gravity purposes. I then want to run that sim into a second one, this time with the letters upright and floating in space, and the only point of this is I want an animated pin constraint to let the strings fall in a pile on the floor. The pin constraint is joining the two strings, though, but not uniformly, and sometimes it's connecting them with a new prim to the origin. I can't duplicate the problem, so I assume it has something to do with simming a sim, but I've tried cleaning, I've tried names (the same and separate), I've tried creating unique pins for each letter, to no avail. There are 11 letters in the real thing, and they all go crazy.

Even a stripped down version of the project is way too big to post, hopefully the pics and description do it.

in_sim.PNG

not_connected.PNG

ADDENDUM: Fedor K at the Houdini Discord saw the problem--there was a resample coming out of the first sim which, because it was working on moving geo was not creating a consistent topology. Duh.