Windows Vista

farhan

Hi,

sorry if there's an obvious answer to this, I'm about to buy a new machine, they all come with Windows Vista. On the download section of Houdini 9/Apprentice there is no option to download for Windows Vista. The only option is for XP.

Does anyone know if the XP version runs on Vista or not? Thought I'd ask before shelling out loads on a machine (obviously I'd like to be able to run H9 on it), or on XP. Any experiences/bugs of this?

Thanks

Farhan

I know two or three users running Vista with Houdini 9. I believe they posted over at the SESI forum. I would strongly recommend an Nvidia card to save yourself some pain with drivers though the Nvidia drivers on Vista is not as good as XP at the moment. They are getting better from what I heard.

Cheers!

steven

I know two or three users running Vista with Houdini 9. I believe they posted over at the SESI forum. I would strongly recommend an Nvidia card to save yourself some pain with drivers though the Nvidia drivers on Vista is not as good as XP at the moment. They are getting better from what I heard.

Cheers!

steven

excellent, I'm going to opt for a NVidia GeForce 8600M GS 256MB, that ought to do it.

thanks

:)

• 1 month later...

I recommend you to install XP, when you'll get your new computer... Vista takes much more ressources than xp : on my 2go ram laptop it takes 1go... And you'll get many bugs with most of applications... I advice you to install xp, and to wait for a good and stable vista version, who doesn't transform your powerful laptop on an ancestral machine.........

Edited by Div