Quest 3d

sibarrick

I used it years ago. It is great, the problem, at least when I used it, is that is was suprisingly inflexible. Though it uses nodes so users can program visually I couldn't do anything procedural with it. I couldn't construct geometry or do anything other than simple transformations, and I was limited to it's existing features and shaders (there were only two basic shaders at the time). There was no way to extend it. Any complex geometry or animation had to come from outside the software usually in the format of an X file. This all may be different now. Like I said, this was years ago.

For interactive stuff I think the high-end solution is Virtools (with a high-end price, too).

Dragos

I agree with you, we are using virtools now since 5 years.

the combination houdini, virtools and maya (only for export reasons) :angry: is closly perfect.

we have tried about 10 different low- to midprice gameengines and our winner was virtools.

michael

we have tried about 10 different low- to midprice gameengines and our winner was virtools.

michael

Coders here use Torque, since is the only one I know, I think it stinks... but it could be worst I guess.

There is nothing procedural in it. Even if you want to fade out something in the game, you have to make that fade animation someplace else (3dsmax).

I agree with you, we are using virtools now since 5 years.

the combination houdini, virtools and maya (only for export reasons) :angry: is closly perfect.

michael

Their website seems really poor. I couldn't get a handle on exactly how the package actually works, plus there didn't seem to be a demo you could try. That has really put me off at the moment.

Coders here use Torque, since is the only one I know, I think it stinks... but it could be worst I guess.

There is nothing procedural in it. Even if you want to fade out something in the game, you have to make that fade animation someplace else (3dsmax).

I do not like Torque either. I use XNA. It's basically the replacement for managed Direct X, but it eliminates most of the BS you have to deal with using Direct X and the Windows API, while still allowing you to create some really high performance applications. You have pretty much unrestricted access to the graphics hardware with XNA. It's based around C# and .Net, which I have grown to love. There's a Torque XNA engine, but I find working with XNA is easy enough, no need for an engine on top of it.

How about Touch, if you want a houdini like realtime solution. Derivative.com. We've been working with them for the past few years. There's little documentation, but there are familiar nodes. :)

Play around with it.

I've thought about this before but AFAIK you have to use the touch player and that doesn't really suit my needs.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that I've been looking into lately is the C4 engine. It is a well-documented and capable game engine that has a demo and a good community.

The demo unfortunately doesn't have that great graphics that show off the engine well, however, there are other projects in development that will show off the full capabilities of the engine. At any rate, the demo is pretty fun to play, and I'm going to purchase a license once I finish my game design document.

Oh-- the link: http://www.terathon.com/c4engine/index.php

• 4 months later...

Coming back to this subject again...

I've been playing around with dxstudio which is a really nicely put together realtime engine with easy to use javascripting capabilities. Perfect for playing with and pretty powerful too considering how simple it is to use. Highly recommended for anyone wanting to try out some realtime stuff, you can publish to exe's or web too which is very nice, and the most important thing there is a free version!

Dx studio

Edited by sibarrick

• 3 months later...