Gi In Mental Ray

Hi,

Thats a thing I thought about a couple of month ago. I come to the end its not possible. You need to buy the standalone version of Mental Ray. then you can bridge it to houdini. On the other side I have to say. mantra is faster as mental ray in some cases. the mantra shading is more complex and give's you more options for creative way to render. I hope its not wrong, what I say..... :rolleyes:.....but its my opinion.

note: I work as Texturing Artist in feature film with maya Mental Ray and houdini Mantra........

Hi,

Thats a thing I thought about a couple of month ago. I come to the end its not possible. You need to buy the standalone version of Mental Ray. then you can bridge it to houdini. On the other side I have to say. mantra is faster as mental ray in some cases. the mantra shading is more complex and give's you more options for creative way to render. I hope its not wrong, what I say..... :rolleyes:.....but its my opinion.

note: I work as Texturing Artist in feature film with maya Mental Ray and houdini Mantra........

I have MR 3.5.7 SA, it does work, but no GI I could find. I would love to render with Mantra, but I don't understand its logic, how it works... I used VRay there's almost everything clear, at least there are tuts to start from and you can get not perfect, but close to it picture... There were a couple of tuts on GI and PBR - but it's toooo small piece of info for me and my renders suck a lot. I use modo, I can come to the final pic with it, and my learning of Houdini stopped, because I can't see the final pic of my tries.

So that I wanted to try MR, 'cause there is stuff to start learning with.

If you have questions about PBR, you should just ask. We're all learning about it & some users know more than others. We can all help each other. I like to render with PBR so will try to help if possible.

Although, the SESI developers do come by so you might an answer to your question or you can post to SESI's forum as well.

Cheers!

steven

If you have questions about PBR, you should just ask. We're all learning about it & some users know more than others. We can all help each other. I like to render with PBR so will try to help if possible.

Although, the SESI developers do come by so you might an answer to your question or you can post to SESI's forum as well.

Cheers!

steven

OK. I'll do a simple scene to show, what I do not get in there and place it here.

Can anybody tell me where to enable GI in mental ray in Houdini? There's a rollout in 3ds max, but how to enable it in Houdini?

GI is kind of a vague term.

If you put down an environment light (H9), you should get ambient occlusion. Edit: This is with mentalray

However, there seems to be an optimization where the ambient occlusion light source doesn't illuminate back-facing surfaces. Does anyone know how to fix this?

post-211-1193253071_thumb.jpg

ambient_occlusion.hip.gz

GI is kind of a vague term.

If you put down an environment light (H9), you should get ambient occlusion.

However, there seems to be an optimization where the ambient occlusion light source doesn't illuminate back-facing surfaces. Does anyone know how to fix this?

hi, can you specifiy your question. for my knowledge i know, that ambient occlusion works in other way as global illumination or final gathering. What do you mean Do you mean final gather, GI or Occlusion????

By the way i have to say, please tell us, wich software do use, now. Because. Global illumination means in Houdini, kinda way how final gather works in Mental ray. In Mental Ray is Gi something other. In mental ray you need lamps wich send out photons to illuminate something, thats called GI in Mental Ray. When you use Final Gather in Mental Ray you only need to put in a HDRI or a surface with a material that emits color, so you can light the scene. Different ways in each software.

Edited by Mainframe123

and i forgot to say. Mantra is the best way to get amazing pictures if you know how. Because you can shade everything without any border. In Mental Ray you come fast to script your own shaders. In Mantra you dont need to script to get the same results, because that link system in the shaders in mantra inside houdini are kinda way of scripting without a text editor. in Mantra you can set how a alpha channel of a material works, how a translucense works and so on. Try in maya for mental ray to render out a correct transperency without scripting??? i come to the opinion, that mental ray makes good fast pictures. when you want a special effect a very individual image, you cant get it in mental ray without scripting.

:unsure: i needed one year to understand the shading in mantra...... its amazing, totaly free.....sometimes i forgot my girlfriend,when i think about mantra. Mantra is my second best girlfriend........ :rolleyes: