How To Assign Shader To Dop Objects ?

newPeak

How to assign shader to DOP Objects ?

In theory, in H9, you can use the render parms to assign a material to DOP objects. For example, your material could have a delayed load geometry shader to load geometry from disk as well as setting surface/displacement shading.

However, there do seem to be some problems (transforms don't seem correct, etc.), so it probably is best to bring the DOPs back into SOPs and apply the shaders there.

• 6 months later...

Hello, I want to know the right workflow for this case.

when I use DOP Import or Object Merge to get a DOP object out to SOP and then assign a shader to it, it seems my material is assigned in word space, not the object space.

When the object is falling down, the shader pattern (like those textures on Marble material) is changing. Maybe this is a basic question, but I just can't find where I could change the shader space.

Thanks

EDIT: I attached a test file with the problem. I rendered it from frame 1 to frame 48, where I could see the shader is on world space.

shader_problem.hipnc

Edited by curveU

Heya,

Took a very quick look through the file and shader, I think you either need to specify UVs on your sphere object, or use a Rest Position sop in your dop-imported geo for rendering. Which means you will need an object merge to bring in the original, non moving geometry to pipe into the 2nd input of the Rest Position SOP.

GW

Heya,

Took a very quick look through the file and shader, I think you either need to specify UVs on your sphere object, or use a Rest Position sop in your dop-imported geo for rendering. Which means you will need an object merge to bring in the original, non moving geometry to pipe into the 2nd input of the Rest Position SOP.

GW

Hi GallenWolf, thanks a lot. It works pretty well.