Stand Alone

Tamis

so i must admit i'm a complete noob to C++ or any HDK what so ever.

lukely if got lods of people around me that know C++ and the Maya API but not the houdini HDK.

when i started with houdini i realy liked the wat VEX gave you alot more possabilaty's, i realy like it but ofcorse i soon bumped against it limitations.

witch was not being able to use array's.

so after looking around a bit i found out about the Unix node for creating stand alones; awsome!;

so i started looking at documentation and looking around the net *mostly odforce* to find out how i install this damn HDK,,, hehe.

after like 2 weeks i now finaly got it installed and running.

at first i thought that standalone.C and traverse.C were example files witch you can just compile and refrence in the Unix node.

but it gives me the following error: Geometry read failed from: traverse C:/PROGRA~1 ect.....

it apears to me that these examples don't include in them examples that read the .bgeo or .geo that is being output from the Unix node.

am i doing something wrong within the Unix node ?

or dos the example files standalone,traverse.C not include this peace of code ?

this is what i have set on the Unix node: traverse C:/PROGRA~1/SIDEEF~1/HOUDIN~1.768/houdini/geo/defgeo.bgeo stdout.bgeo

i have heard that if you do sutch a thing you would have to compile a whole new version of houdini ?

my intension is to use the standalone as a sort of vex extension so i can just basicly get a input and modifie it and create a output.

or modifie and add and output.

but in a plug and play way.

can i do that by creating a custom SOP ?