Production Issues

Rafal123

I have an idea to start with something like that, in short - pros can say about problems they had during production and then we can start with our own solutions to those problems, we could give examples how to solve those or start with challenges based on that stuff. What you think? Put a vote here if anyone like it or not or think it can be helpfull to be a better Houdnik.

p.s

if we accept this idea, then we need some kind of order/organize how to talk about production issues/problems, right? we ain't need put all problems at the same time, maybe after some time add this stuff to wiki or as a kind of faq

Edited by Rafal123

I can't say that I'm a pro yet... but here's an issue and a semi solution.

I'm having an issue where mantra just stops and sits at using 1 processor after rendering about 100 frames. So I've been babysitting it and restarting the renders manually every time. I found that since I was pulling something from cops, the cops cache was filling up and hanging houdini and mantra. I haven't quite solved it yet, just increased the cops cache size. Maybe its just something to be aware of until Sidefx really works out some of the kinks in cops (it was crashing at other times too when using vop cop filter).

Would it help if I exported IFDs, and tried the command line interface instead of just rendering from the houdini graphical interface?

P.S. I think this thread is a great idea, it could be like an ongoing, live, interactive version of craig's "On the Spot" book.

Edited by shikung444

Hi Mcronin, yes, I am pulling something directly from cops. I know the "risk" , but I was modifying an animated noise texture back and forth and test rendering, and I was changing it all the way up to the final render. Now that I think about it, I probably should have done the render dependencies and disk rendering like you said. Next time I'll also try the compfree post frame script. Maybe one of us can script a proper non-crashing cache management for cops one day :)

I'm looking forward to hearing about others' problems and solutions...