Houdini 9 Dual Screen Ui Layout

Hi there!

I lately decided, after looking at it a few times and getting distracted again, that I really need to get into Houdini. Got the apprentice edition, got the two books, digged through this forum and the sidefx blog. It's big fun and I think I am getting somewhere, the only problem that still is bugging me and I didn't find anything about, yet, is making a decent dual screen layout.

Surely, I can tear off a pane tab, move it to the other screen and maximize, but that way I can only get one panel on the other screen, which is not exactly what I am after. I'd like to get several pane tabs over to the other screen and organize them. Is there a way to do this?

I am on Windows by the way...

Best

Timm

What I usually do is create a New Desktop in Houdini (I make a variant of the Build desktop) and drag the dimensions of the application to cover both screens. Now I split my panes and such until I have I layout I'm happy with (usually 3d viewports and a tree view pane on the left, 2 networks+2parameter panes on the right) and then Save Desktop. The only things you have to do whenever you restart Houdini is to unmaximize it, resize the main window and switch to your new Desktop.

Also, to avoid the manual resizing, you should know about the commandline option -span to tell Houdini to start up spanning two monitors. On linux, I'd make an alias for it, on windows create yourself a new shortcut with -span in it.

%>  houdini -span

Hope this helps,

Jason

• 3 months later...

I actually think I found a way that works quite ok for me now. I take one of the normal desktops as a start, then use "Tear off Pane Tab Copy" (usually for a scene view), move that over to the other screen, maximize it and save the layout.

The fiddly thing is that it doesn't work with "Tear Off Pane Tab", even though it should. I was told it has been logged as a bug, perhaps it's already fixed with newer versions.

What would be the only thing I am missing really is, if I could actually have more than one tab in a separate window. That way I could move comp out, render out and scene view onto the second screen. Regarding that I was told, that a similar request was logged with them a while ago, so it might happen.

Happy

Timm