Cloth, Spring, Particles And Maya Ncloth

symek

Is it true that Maya nCloth solver is based on particle engine? This would explain why it's so fast and also encloses it to Houdini's old Spring SOP (or Particles SOP more likely). What I mean is that whenever I use Spring SOP I think that it's just a great solution for fast cloths work and it wouldn't be too much effort to fix some difficulties it introduces. For example some minor CHOP work after SpringSOP solve can handle many of its instability behavior - not perfectly unfortunately.

Does Spring SOP solves full equation of Hook's law in 3 dimensional space? I don't think so.

I think that it would be nice to have some fast, semi-accurate cloth solver. Better then a trick with SpringSOP but more efficient (yet less robust) then ClothDOP. Particles, spring force, whatever. I was thinking onces about Hook's law derivation in Python SOP for example. Or some usage of Houdini's own particle engine? Does anybody have any comments?

thanks,

sy.

Edited by SYmek

Is it true that Maya nCloth solver is based on particle engine? This would explain why it's so fast and also encloses it to Houdini's old Spring SOP (or Particles SOP more likely). What I mean is that whenever I use Spring SOP I think that it's just a great solution for fast cloths work and it wouldn't be too much effort to fix some difficulties it introduces. For example some minor CHOP work after SpringSOP solve can handle many of its instability behavior - not perfectly unfortunately.

Does Spring SOP solves full equation of Hook's law in 3 dimensional space? I don't think so.

I think that it would be nice to have some fast, semi-accurate cloth solver. Better then a trick with SpringSOP but more efficient (yet less robust) then ClothDOP. Particles, spring force, whatever. I was thinking onces about Hook's law derivation in Python SOP for example. Or some usage of Houdini's own particle engine? Does anybody have any comments?

thanks,

sy.

Yep, there is nParticle hidden behind nCloth.

• 4 months later...

After my experience with houdini cloth i find it simply unusable. I dont know if I'm not using it the right way but a well defined plane hunging by one constraint (no forces applied except gravity) seems to be too much for my quad core 2GB system... :P

After my experience with houdini cloth i find it simply unusable. I dont know if I'm not using it the right way but a well defined plane hunging by one constraint (no forces applied except gravity) seems to be too much for my quad core 2GB system... :P

So there is definitely something wrong with your setup. I'm not going to protect hCloths, SESI should fix it (make it robust) as soon as possible since its weakness destroy character pipeline they put so much attention in to. It's like a pissing off your own investments. Anyway, is not so bad. Simplest scene you described works real time on my system. It's not very helpful in most cases, but so it is ;) Be justice. In addition there are a number of tricks to make it more usable (doesn't mean perfect). Perhaps SOMEONE should provide it.

cheers,

sy.

hi Symek, i don't know much about cloth but I want to learn more about it in Houdini. So just one quick question: is it possible to do the similar thing like

in Houdini? I searched in the forum and people were only talking about setting up manually.

hi Symek, i don't know much about cloth but I want to learn more about it in Houdini. So just one quick question: is it possible to do the similar thing like
in Houdini? I searched in the forum and people were only talking about setting up manually.

Tearing cloths is perfectly doable but how much you can get from that, it's another question. Effect you shown look very nice. I would say go for it. I think there are some examples in Houdini's Help for that. Good as a starting point, but don't expect push-button solution for any advanced effect ;)

good luck,

sy.