Environment Setup Problem With H9.1.126 And Ubuntu 7.10 64bit

Cross-post with the mailing list, sorry for that.

Hi list,

During a process of moving my Houdini environment to Linux (x86_64), I'm also trying to setup the initial development environment so that I can compile some of the DSOs. I'm running a fairly vanilla Ubuntu 7.10 64bit on an Intel C2D with some development options added (as far as I can tell also all the 64bit gcc libs needed as well). I'm running the 9.1.126 daily build and it works just fine on the laptop.

Now, as a test I'm trying to compile some of the HDK samples and I get the following problem:

andrasikladi@NEPTUNEMBP:/skynet/houdini/91126/toolkit/samples/SOP$ hcustom SOP_Flatten.C
MACHTYPE: Undefined variable.
Making SOP_Flatten.o and /home/andrasikladi/houdini9.1/dso/SOP_Flatten.so from SOP_Flatten.C
SOP_Flatten.C:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
Compile failed

I tried to set the $MACHTYPE variable to some meaningful values, to no avail.

When I dump (-e) the hcustom command script, it looks like this:

andrasikladi@NEPTUNEMBP:/skynet/houdini/91126/toolkit/samples/SOP$ hcustom -e SOP_Flatten.C
g++ -DUT_DSO_TAGINFO='"3262197cbf13471031a71e814c3690f8226efbd5ff16ec8a16dbbf681714bfd251bd2a8dcf7b25710746e2e67dda316b0eaaf57aae8cf95640162de16dfe90b64aa845b2ef8251bea3268d0847ba11fcab0c8ceacfa2986af7a45c0b1e01ad4dff578f"' -DVERSION=\" 9.1.126\" -DDLLEXPORT=  -D_GNU_SOURCE -DLINUX -DI386 -march=i686 -DSIZEOF_VOID_P=4 -DSESI_LITTLE_ENDIAN -DENABLE_THREADS -DUSE_PTHREADS -D_REENTRANT -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -c  -DGCC4 -DGCC3 -Wno-deprecated -I/skynet/houdini/91126/toolkit/include -I/skynet/houdini/91126/toolkit/include/htools -Wall -W -Wno-parentheses -Wno-sign-compare -Wno-reorder -Wno-uninitialized -Wunused -Wno-unused-parameter -O2 -DMAKING_DSO -o SOP_Flatten.o SOP_Flatten.C
SOP_Flatten.C:1: error: CPU you selected does not support x86-64 instruction set
Compile failed

So it looks like it's using an I386 macro and an i686 CPU type. The docs say that hcustom should initialize my environment to the proper architecture (which I assume it does as all the library search paths..etc are setup properly).

I also tried to run HDKinstall (although it seems to have expanded everything already and the error message doesn't seem to complain about missing stuff):

root@NEPTUNEMBP:/skynet/houdini/91126# hdkinstall
Installing the HDK... done

NOTE: Building plug-ins for this installation of Houdini requires
g++ 3.x or higher.

??? What do you mean?

andrasikladi@NEPTUNEMBP:/skynet/houdini/91126# gcc -v
Using built-in specs.
Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.1.3 --program-suffix=-4.1 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-mpfr --enable-checking=release x86_64-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)

Looks like it has the right version of GCC.

I guess it must be something fairly basic I'm missing. Any clues/RTFMs (I've read the relevant chapters on the odForce wiki)?

Thanks,

Andras