My Fur Tests

abvfx

Hey guys, its been like 2 years.

And Houdini has some more fur tools for me to play with. I must say im more than encouraged. Even though there is a lengthy discussion over at the SESI forums about the lack of out-of-the-box results, which im glad is being discussed. I dont think the fur tools are getting as much credit as they deserve. (yeah it needs improving like anything but im really excited at the customization currently on offer )

Here is a beard i did last night.

h11_furtest.jpg

Now with a little better lighting. (still low rendering samples)

h11_furtest02.jpg

Its nowhere near perfect but not to shabby for about 45 minutes.

I think i will reopen the files and start to work on my old bee project but im really gonna be using it for humans and creatures. (i think the mouse project might fall by the wayside as i need to remodel it again)

Edited by phrenzy84

• 9 months later...

So its almost been a year and what is the report. Well i think as far as fur is concerned i dont think i have a problem with it anymore. I am talking about fur and not hair though.

Here are my most recent tests along with a temporary skin shader/texture setup along with sme eyes that have also yet to be completed.

This is using Sergey's new hair shader which only works with the Micropoly renderer (which is good enough for me). The current standard Houdini Fur shader's specularity is broken and with some tweaking can work but in my case you lose a lot of functionality/control.

So here are a few low sample tests ive done (with my regular Houdini guinea pig :))

Stubble / 5 o' clock shadow version

post-666-130479525642_thumb.jpg

Unshaven / Rough

post-666-130479526798_thumb.jpg

George Clooney (Syriana):P

post-666-130479531377_thumb.jpg

On the topic of Hair, marc has said that i could use Blender to groom guide hairs and then import those into Houdini. After much trying ive only managed to get it to work with very poor results. I do think there is some way to make it work and if anyone knows how i would much appreciate it if you could let me know how to get things setup.

As for other fur work. I guess now there are other things i would like to fur-up, one example is by bee that i started any moons ago, and maybe the mouse, who knows. We shall see, hopefully it wont take another year though :P