Hda Generation Containing Other Assets Inside

Hi,

I am currently building a tool, but inside of it I use a few other assets. Is there anything I should do to make sure that when I run the tool on another computer it works. It should take the other otls along inside.

I am guessing I have to include all the assets in the same library? Resave the assets or somehow copy them so they become part of the library that my tool is in?

I am trying to follow the "micro assets create bigger asset" design pattern.

Thanks!

this is something that studios deal with on a daily basis...and it's not always easy...

one way is to:

make a directory somewhere that stores your OTL files

you can make sub-directories for SOPs COPs DOPs etc...or just pile them all into one directory - it just makes finding something a bit harder

it's a good idea to make a whole new directory structure for new Houdini builds - just in case

the key here is that any computer that uses Houdini (and your OTLs) should be able to see that directory, and all the nodes of your farm etc

another thing the do, if possible is to use some kind of version control to manage your OTLs

this way, at worst, you'll be able to find all the OTLs you have ever used...

packaging up a file to be sent to someone else outside of your environment can be done by "Embedding" the OTLs into a .hip file...

open the Operator Type Manager and look at the OTLs in the section called "Current Hip File"...if you select one and RMB to open the Type Properties, you can change the location it is saved to to read "Embedded" (no quotes)

this will save (copies of) the OTLs to your hip file...and make your hip file bigger...

then you can just zip up the file and your good to go.

there is way more on the topic but that should get you started...