Smoke with I3D

Div

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to do some smoke using I3D, and i need some tips and advices... Here is the render smoke i got, using 2 pop network, one to emitt the main particles and the second to emitt from these particles in order to have some nice trail (we don't really see that in the render), finally i copy metaballs using the second pop network.... I like the density and the "matiere" of the smoke, but i want to do some tweak and i don't know how....

Firstable regarding the 'propagation' of the smoke, i don't like the way it react, some littles clouds appears away from the main smoke, they grow up and they join the main smoke..... Is it due to I3D ? how and can i change that ?....

I also would like to make the smoke disintegrate itself, is there a way that i can transfer a $LIFE value from my particles to the 'fog density' parameter of the VEX 3D Texture Fog ?

And is it easier to use sprites instead of I3D for what im trying to do ? Can I get the same density and 'matiere' with sprites ? I've done this with Houdini 8.1, i am going to buy the Apprentice HD version, will this help me for what im looking for ???

Thanks for your further help...

Cheers,

Nico

smoke_I3D_test1.mov

Perhaps you might want to explore rendering with Volumes in H9.1? Download the FX Toolbar from the SESI Exchange and play with it. I3D might be more work than it's worth. Personally, I never tried writing any I3D shaders.

Sprites might get you close if you can spare a day to explore them. Play with different noise patterns and transistion between them based on $LIFE. It might get your some interesting patterns.

Good luck!

Cheers!

steven

Thanks, i bought the apprentice hd 9.1 version and im actually playing with the heavy smoke in the fx toolbar... thanks for the tips

And if someone else have another way to achieve this, please tells me....

Thanks a lot

• 2 weeks later...

Try using the fx tools on H9 or 9.1. I was doing something similar with a mushroom cloud effect I was working on. I was trying to get i3d to work, but I never did. I ended up using the heavy smoke fx tool. Just play around with the settings and you can basically fake I3d.