Smoke Test

MatrixNAN

Hey Everyone,

I have been playing around with Houdini 9 as of last night wow is it different than 8 I think I am lost most of the time but here is a render test I did in Houdini 9 for smoke based off of the example file they provided from SESI. Comments and Crits Welcome.

Standard Smoke:

th_StandardSmokeRenderTest_01.jpg

Billowy Smoke:

th_BillowySmokeRenderTest_01.jpg

Wispy Smoke:

th_WispySmokeRenderTest_01.jpg

3 Layer Smoke Test with Standard Smoke Volume at its original size, Billowy Smoke Scaled a bit larger as a 2nd Layer, Wispy Smoke Scaled larger than Billowy and Standard Smoke Layers:

th_Smoke3Layer.jpg

4 Layer Smoke Test with Standard Smoke Volume at its original size, 2 Billowy Smoke Layers Scaled a bit larger as a 2nd and 3rd Layer with the 3rd layer larger scaled larger than the 2nd layer, Wispy Smoke Scaled larger than Billowy and Standard Smoke Layers:

th_Smoke4Layer.jpg

This configuration should give totally matching results 100% when animated since they are all formed from the same volume I3D Data.

Cheers,

Nate Nesler

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone,

Yeah no problem I uploaded it into Houdini Exchange. Its called Layer Smoke Rendering Example in there so it should be easy to find. I filed it under scene files. Please understand this is Stage 2 of the the 2 step process in stage 1 you would have to make a particle or fluid simulation. If particle you would need to use either metaballs or voxels and then render out to the I3D format. Then this is stage 2 where you load in the I3D Model and my file shows some tricks to make it more interesting visually. I am sorry I don't know how to directly link to my uploaded file. Sorry for the trouble.

Houdini Exchage Link:

http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/

Cheers,

Nate Nesler