From CHOPs to volume data

Hello!

I'm thinking: What would be the most direct way to build volume data from signals modeled in CHOPs ? Is there such ?

Say I have three signals X,Y,Z. What would be the most practical way to form a SDF from these three ? I know I could first use the signals to build geometry according to their profiles(extruding a curve etc.) but shouldn't there be a better way ?

Also: How would I make a .i3d volume texture from SDF or CHOP data ?

Thanks.

Hello!

I'm thinking: What would be the most direct way to build volume data from signals modeled in CHOPs ? Is there such ?

Say I have three signals X,Y,Z. What would be the most practical way to form a SDF from these three ? I know I could first use the signals to build geometry according to their profiles(extruding a curve etc.) but shouldn't there be a better way ?

Also: How would I make a .i3d volume texture from SDF or CHOP data ?

Thanks.

1) You can use the IsoSurface SOP in "Build Volume" mode and then use chop() expressions to get values from your CHOPs.

2) If you're OK with building .i3d's then you can:

2a) output attributes on a cube of points (using the Channel SOP), save that out to disk and then run i3dconvert on it to convert the .bgeo points to .i3d. Unfortunately the FileSOP doesn't read .i3d's in so it's really a one-way street and your data is kinda trapped out there. It would be cool if the Channel SOP could populate Volumes directly, perhaps you can RFE it?

2b) You can use the VEX ch() to read from CHOPs from inside the Image3D VEX context (I think) and avoid the grid'o'points thing altogether.