Newbie Help!

Hi Guys,

I am pretty new to all this, i have only used Houdini for a few months so i have limited knowledge. My project is transforming a dull and boring shoe to a fancy high end designer shoe. I am using l_systems to grow and flower glass balls sequins and other decor. I am currently struggling with getting the "zing" :huh: (excuse expression) in the gold that i want. Take a peek and any help would be much appreciated, and here are also my colored glass balls. If anyone has any extra comments for them too.

Thanks for your valuable time guys!!!

post-3754-1209488258_thumb.jpg

post-3754-1209488282_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi somajulia,

Not sure if you got some progress with this but have you found reference images of the look you want? If you do, please post them and we might have suggestions. I read your post but got busy and couldn't reply.

Cheers!

steven

Hi Steven,

Thanks for replying. I totally understand that you are a very busy man.

Ok, yes i have been trying to develop these further wot do you think?, i guess the environment map is very important, maybe i should look into caustics, global illumination and photon maps? Would PBR also be a good thing to try?

I also think it will be so dependent on its environment for lightmatch, reflections and HDR, so once i have shot my location and start to place the objects into environment i think it will be easier to see what they are lacking. As for references well, your wonderful examples in the galley mantra-izm's are a good start. I was wondering if there were advantages to you using Houdini 6 and 4 over houdini 9 for the caustics and depth map shadows, or does it not really make any difference?

I rendered out several layers to create these last tests just using the standard mantra (micropolygon) setup and copmed them in Shake. Should i be looking into the different ways of rendering i.e ray trace?

if you could enlighten me further that would be great and thank you very much for your precious time.

Cheers,

Julia

post-3754-1210437525_thumb.jpg

post-3754-1210437550_thumb.jpg

Ok, yes i have been trying to develop these further wot do you think?, i guess the environment map is very important, maybe i should look into caustics, global illumination and photon maps? Would PBR also be a good thing to try?

Hi Julia,

You are right, reflective materials are dependant on the enviroment. Real gold on a black enviroment has nothing to reflect, and would look dull. Your images are looking much better now!

http://www.mkdigitaldirect.com/tips/new-ti...raphy_tips.html

http://forums.odforce.net/index.php?showto...ost&p=44297

You can use reflection boxes, environment maps (HDRI).

Edited by Andz

Hi Andz,

Sorry for not replying sooner and saying thank you for the brilliant links. The link on how to photograph jewelry was particularly useful!

I am currently testing some HDRI now too. Sorry but this may sound like a stupid question but what do you mean by reflection boxes? :huh:

Thanks again for your help.

Al the best,

Julia