create geometry from a displacement map

helloooooo!

I have a model of a fish and a displacement map. I need to embed the displacement map into the smooth model so that all the details of the bump map becomes geometry. Does anyone know how to do this?

All suggestions are very much appreciated! Thanks :lol:

I attached a SOP Digital Asset that allows you to displace geometry using an image. It has some nice convenience options as well.

You can install the digital asset using the File > Install Digital Asset Library and bring in the .otl file. The tool in SOPs is called "Displace By Map" and should fall in the "Digital Assets" tab operator menu.

This is just a wrapper on top of a vop network which is doing the actual displacement.

displace_by_map.otl

• Like 3

I attached a SOP Digital Asset that allows you to displace geometry using an image. It has some nice convenience options as well.

You can install the digital asset using the File > Install Digital Asset Library and bring in the .otl file. The tool in SOPs is called "Displace By Map" and should fall in the "Digital Assets" tab operator menu.

This is just a wrapper on top of a vop network which is doing the actual displacement.

Hey oldschool! thank u very much! I will try it straight away!

Mel XX

Exactly kumpa. I have that same network but with the ability to have the map black up, white down or grey centered displacements. I do that all the time now with my displacement maps.

I added some extra convenience features, group functionality and the ability to add uv's in case they aren't present.

• 9 years later...