creating fillets in Houdini

cspears2002

I'm trying to model a plant in Houdini. However, I think the transition between the plant's stem and vine are rather abrupt.

post-1834-1211949296_thumb.jpg

When I used Maya in the past, I created a fillet between the two surfaces to smooth the transition. However, when I use the Fillet SOP, I get a pretty ugly result.

post-1834-1211949275_thumb.jpg

I've been playing with various parameters with no luck. Any hints? I included the scene file if you want to take a look.

audrey_v14.hipnc

Fillet SOP in Houdini is different from the Fillet tool in Maya. In Houdini it creates a surface between two other surfaces, at the edges. If you want to make a skin with tangency between two trim curves, use the Bridge SOP.

Check the help for Fillet, Bridge, Stitch and Join.

Also be aware that while the Bridge SOP has some wonderful features, the numerical precision of Houdini seems to be lower than that of other apps, so you won't always get satisfactory results.

Dragos

PS Actually in your case the most useful might be the Surfsect SOP or the Round SOP.

It's hard to tell but it looks like from your first picture that the uv for the main stem is the wrong way round. Try putting a reverse sop on it and swapping the u and v. It looks at the moment like the u from the branch is joining to the v of the stem. Just a guess. Post a hip file if you need more help.