Another Wacom thread

Mcronin

OK, I have an Intuos 2 USB, and I know how to install the dirvers and configure it. That's not the problem.

The problem is I just installed RedHat 8, and it doesn't know the wacom is there at all. No matter how many times I unplug it or plug it back in the thing doesn't get power. I have a USB mouse and Keyboard and have tested both USB ports in linux, they both work. The tablet also works under Windows. I just can't for the life of me get the tablet to be recognized and power up in Linux. Anyone got any ideas?

I've had the same problem. Tried editing the XFree86config to get the RHL8 to work, but nothing worked. In fact, When I boot up to Linux, the light doesn't even lit up. (Works fine when booting to Window, tho.)

It'd be awesome if I can get the Wacom to work... I'd really like to go back to the old days of modeling with Pen instead of mouse...

Cheers,

ALex

I don't know if this will help you, got a completely different distro (SuSE 7.2, Kernel 2.4.4-4GB and XFree4). This is how it works on my comp:

First of all, login as root and switch to a non-graphical Runlevel (in my case 3, but i'm pretty sure redhat differs in this point). This will ease things up as the first part is to get this thing work on the shell.

In my module path there's the Wacom driver in "/lib/modules/2.4.4-4GB/kernel/drivers/usb/wacom.o". If the RedCap Kernel needs a recompile, go get SuSE :P that's a joke.

Another helpful thing seems to be a device, in my case located at /dev/input/mice (character device, major 13, minor 63), which is also the node /dev/mouse is linked to. As my other mouse is USB too, they're kinda wired together to this device so I can use both alternately while working

:D

Anyway, if you don't find this device, just create it by typing

mkdir /dev/input

mknod /dev/input/mice c 13 63

Now kill GPM and restart it with some modified parameters:

gpm -k

gpm -t imps2 -m /dev/input/mice

If you now touch your tablet with a stylus(!) and it works, skip this paragraph.

Type

insmod wacom

Now your tablet should work, at least in relative mode. To make this permanent, I think you have to link it to the "usb-hub" in modules.conf. Something like

post-install usb-hub modprobe wacom

or vice versa with pre-install (haven't used this a single time) should do the trick.

Now check if your mouse is working, too. If so, merely make this your standard mouse by typing

rm /dev/mouse

ln -s /dev/input/mice /dev/mouse

Then modify your XF86Config. In the Mouse Section, the device should point there and should use the correct protocol:

Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"

Option "Protocol" "IMPS/2"

Then type

startx

it should work properly now...

Hope this was of some use. The Absolute Mode is not supported by this constellation and using the brush is not recommended, too :( but I'll try to get these things working here somewhen next time.

Greetings,

Michael

Thanks for trying to help. I finally got it fully working. I followed the documetation at the linux wacom project to the letter. The problem I had was that basicly every possible thing that could cause a problem is part of my PC. I have a USB mouse and keyboard, my USB ports are OHCI, not UHCI, my kernel was out of date... etc. I used to use SuSe, and I don't think that would have helped me;) What I finally ended up doing was putting my mouse and keyboard on PS2 ports, getting kernel 2.4.19 and reconfiguring and compiling it. Then working through the how-to at Linux Wacom very slowly. I learned more about Linux than I ever wanted to know in the process but at least it works now. <_<

Thanks guys