interpolation problem with attribute transfer

Hi!

I'm trying to transfer position/normal data from a mesh to particles in UV space. Should work fine but as it seems the attribTransfer is doing a bit of strange stuff when interpolating between the sampled points.

I'd say that if one point is sitting on a quad polygon, transfering attributes from that and i set it up so that it's doing 4 samples, it should do a smooth interpolation and not jump to always the same positions.

I've attached a file to make it more clear.

Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers!

Daniel

transferAttribProblem.hip

I thought that transferAttributes would do some interpolation like shown below

attribTransfer.jpg

with weighted results based on the distances to the sampled points. But if it would do that the resulting points would not sit on that kind of grid the result shows. They'd sit randomly scattered (as the scatter does) on the cylinder.

:blink:

Am I overlooking anything?

Edited by Starrider

It does do that, but the result is weighted by the distance through a bell curve (the Kernel Function) with a radius much larger than the distance between your grid points. Try setting your Kernel Radius to 0.13.

• 7 months later...
It does do that, but the result is weighted by the distance through a bell curve (the Kernel Function) with a radius much larger than the distance between your grid points. Try setting your Kernel Radius to 0.13.

I cant get it to work.. can you help me please?

it don't seems to blend the value of the attribute based on distance.. it just snap to the value..

distanceAttributeTransfer.hipnc

I'm not sure what that hip file is meant to show. You are attribute transferring from only 1 point so it has nothing to interpolate between. You are basically forcing it to only find 1 value and where that value is in range the target point is set to that value once outside the radius everything else becomes 0. This is exactly what i'd expect. You need to be transferring data from more than 1 point before it has any values to interpolate and then you will need to turn up the number of samples to be > 1

• 6 years later...