Texture not rendering.

paleajed

Hello all !

I am creating an effect consisting of a bunch of shards being moved by a bullet object.

The shards consist of boxes that are textured using a quick uvtexture + material node and a shopnet containing a VEX layered surface shader.

When I bring the boxes into a DOPnet, to be used as RBD objects, everything seems OK: the boxes are nicely textured in the 3D viewport, no problems at all. But then, I come to rendering out the scene. What happens: the boxes render out grey, no texture at all.

What setting am I missing here ? helphelphelp :blink:

Here is a not so cut-down .hipnc file of the situation.

Have patience, the frame its on is already some way into the simulation. (takes a minute on my 2.4Ghz machine)

You see the textured shards and also a textured piece of wall.

In the render they come out grey ...

You are totally correct - you've discovered a bug here - it should be rendering with the material directly from the dopnet but it refuses to.

Would you mind reporting this to SESI here? http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com...&Itemid=239

The work-around is to not render the dopnet directly, but instead use another object - and use the DOP Import SOP (or ObjectMerge SOP) to pull the geometry into the this new object and render that instead. It seems to work then.

Hope this helps,

Jason

I got the following answer from SESI:

"You should use a DOP Import SOP to take the transformations from your DOP Network back to your SOP geometry. Then assign your materials at the SOP or OBJ level of that geometry. The DOP environment is for the motion simulations, and not intended for Material assignments."

I got the following answer from SESI:

"You should use a DOP Import SOP to take the transformations from your DOP Network back to your SOP geometry. Then assign your materials at the SOP or OBJ level of that geometry. The DOP environment is for the motion simulations, and not intended for Material assignments."

I think they're misunderstanding the issue.

I know why they're saying this, but there is no reason why this process should not work the way you have it. If materials have been pre-assigned (the way you have done it) then you should definitely be able to render the dopnet directly. In some simulations it might not be practical to "DOP Import" the geometry into another object.

In the early days of DOPs, this method was a major part of the dynamics workflow.