Hscript replacements in Python?

pbowmar

Hi,

So, I'm trying to write a "pure" Python script to replace an overly-complex Hscript that I have. The Hscript works fine and is fast, but it needs arrays and whatnot, so I figured it was a good candidate for replacement with Python.

Three lines in, I'm stumped already :(

Basically, if I look at the Hscript help for "opfind" it assures me it has been replaced by hou.node() or hou.Node() which frankly, is some really confusing function naming but I digress.

I've looked through the help for both of those functions and can't see anything even vaguely resembling "opfind".

Of course I could write my own "opfind" by finding the children of / and then iterating over them, but then I'm writing my own not using "hou.Node()" except peripherally.

So, how does hou.Node() replace "opfind"?

In the meantime I've given up on making a pure Python script and I'll use opfind with hou.hscript() but that kind of defeats the purpose of my exercise. Is Python in 9.5 still not really a replacement for Hscript? I'm not being negative, just trying to set my own realistic expectations for what it can do.

Cheers,

Peter B

Bummer.

So, while I'm here, how do I get a spare parameter to evaluate? I have added via Edit Parameter Interface a new parameter, let's say called "buddy" on a Parameter VOP

parmvop = hou.node("/whatever/node")
print parmvop.parm("parmuniform").evalAsInt()

works fine, returns 1 or 0. evalAsString() returns on or off. Perfect!

Same thing using "buddy" fails as the parm is returned as a "None" type :(

parmvop.spareParms() returns nothing! Sigh.

Just discovered hou.ParmTemplate including folders for awesome auto-UI building. I'm now sold on HOM :)

Which of course results in some frustration that it's not finished or documented fully :( However, the asCode() function usually gets me where I want to be.