easy normals question??

Cannoth

So, I have a sphere with point normals and particles birthed at the sphere's points.

Looking at the spread sheet for the sphere and particles, they both share the same normal

vectors.

Now I also have imported an obj file that is copy stamped to those particles. My trouble is that I

want the geometry's initial position and orientation to match that of the point normals.

This seems like it would be simple to do, what am i missing?!

C

So, I have a sphere with point normals and particles birthed at the sphere's points.

Looking at the spread sheet for the sphere and particles, they both share the same normal

vectors.

Now I also have imported an obj file that is copy stamped to those particles. My trouble is that I

want the geometry's initial position and orientation to match that of the point normals.

This seems like it would be simple to do, what am i missing?!

C

just copy/stamp the N of the particle to a point SOP > Normal of your obj. so you will have 3 values in your copy sop, $NX, $NY, $NZ

Edited by SpencerL

just copy/stamp the N of the particle to a point SOP > Normal of your obj. so you will have 3 values in your copy sop, $NX, $NY, $NZ

Thanks for the quick reply. I did something similar. Thinking about it more specifically I have issues with the rotations of the copied OBJ. The copied OBJ starts rotating

according to something. My goal with the OBJ's, in a sense is to panel the outside of the sphere.

C

Edited by Cannoth

figure it would be easier to share the hip file. The boxes on the sphere are all rotated oddly. What I'm trying to do is get them to all line up in a regular fashion. For example if the there where more boxes on a higher resolution sphere, i would in affect have another perfect sphere made out of boxes.

vsfx_12.hip

figure it would be easier to share the hip file. The boxes on the sphere are all rotated oddly. What I'm trying to do is get them to all line up in a regular fashion. For example if the there where more boxes on a higher resolution sphere, i would in affect have another perfect sphere made out of boxes.

You need an up vector (attribute "up") as well as the normal, else you don't have a complete frame of reference.

Also note that you'll never end up with a "perfect sphere" by copying boxes to each point -- they can be lined up nicely, but they'll never form a water-tight sphere like the original. It's just not possible without each stamped box changing shape in a very specific way.

Here's the modified file:

vsfx_13.hip

HTH,

Thanks a ton, something simple, but at this point i would of never though of use facet and the up vector. Bummer.

Thanks again,

C

You need an up vector (attribute "up") as well as the normal, else you don't have a complete frame of reference.

Also note that you'll never end up with a "perfect sphere" by copying boxes to each point -- they can be lined up nicely, but they'll never form a water-tight sphere like the original. It's just not possible without each stamped box changing shape in a very specific way.

Here's the modified file:

vsfx_13.hip

HTH,