particle orientation

Rudinie

Hi everyone,

when i use the points of a sphere as the source to copy a couple of boxes to, the boxes are nicelly rotated according to the point-normals.

Whenever i use the same sphere as input for a Popnet and use the Popnet as the source instead of the sphere in the copyNode, the rotation of my boxes is all set to align to the z-axis. So i think my particles don't use the normals from the input, allthough i did use "inherit attributes" in the source node in popnet.

How can i get the point normals from my sphere as normals for my particles? Or is there something else i'm doing wrong?

I attached the file so you can have a look at what i mean.

I hope someone could give me a little help and point me (and my boxes) in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Rudi

ball.hipnc

Ah, i found out myself, adding a point sop before sending the points to POP did the trick. I had to set the inherit velocity to a very low value to avoid the particles flying away straight away.

Now i need to find how to control the orientation in POPS.

Rudi

Now i need to find how to control the orientation in POPS.

This is actually much harder than i thought.

How do i use the Normals (that get in from the points i use as input to POPS) to rotate all the particles so they face the same direction.

A "lookat" doesn't work because the normals are all off.

How do i correct for the normals? Can i calculate how to rotate the particles so i correct for the normals? (Does this make sense?)

Craig Zerouni writes in his book (on page79) that "it is also possible to add rotation attributes afterwards, but that is more difficult, because they are in quaternions"

Quaternions, does that mean the fact that you have an angle and three axis? So how do i transfer the normals (3 axis) to a rotation?

I could use some help on this, so if anyone would care to explain that would be great!

Rudi (confused)

I've found that using a voppop (never used that until now) will do the trick.

I had to use a keyable parameter outside voppop (keyed from 0 to 1) and get that in to slowly set the normals from the first input geometry of the pops network to the second.

Is there a way to do this without keyframes?

Thanks for your reply. I get an error however when i open your file, related to "Owl_redoguides1", using incomplete asset definition (full definition not found.)

oh darn my bad, that otl doesn't belong in there

can you show that file?

Edited by Owl

• 3 weeks later...