Image Based Fracture with Curves

Ole

I've painted my self into a corner while trying to create a general tool for fracturing. I would like to use the contrast of an image (black/white, colors) to create curves on polygonal geometry with UVs. This will in turn get cut into pieces. I imagine something like a curve projected on a sphere with the creep sop. I would also need to be able to group the fragments afterwards.

If you have any pointers to push me in the right direction, the answer, suggestions or an alternative method, I'm all ears!

Thanks,

Ole

PS: This is my current progress: QuickTime Movie (Disregard the motion, it was only a quick test). As you can see, triangulated and square edges is not very cool.

Edited by Ole

have a look at the trace SOP

and read through this, start here > http://www.a3d.co.uk/siggraph_talk/img26.html

Miles, it will be available once I get this to work.

Michael, Thanks for the link. I am however not able to follow it it seems. It shows an iteresting technique, but I'm not able to adapt it to an object and trace SOP.