Volume Step Size value

Is Mantra's Volume Step Size value in world space or camera space?

I would assume that it would be in world space but I have a couple different shots that are more or less the same scale and i usually have to mess with the step size value quite a bit in order to get a consistent look which is leading me to believe that maybe its in camera space?? If it is actually in camera space then I must ask why, because that would mean that there is no consistency from one scene to the next unless the camera is the same.

Is Mantra's Volume Step Size value in world space or camera space?

I would assume that it would be in world space but I have a couple different shots that are more or less the same scale and i usually have to mess with the step size value quite a bit in order to get a consistent look which is leading me to believe that maybe its in camera space?? If it is actually in camera space then I must ask why, because that would mean that there is no consistency from one scene to the next unless the camera is the same.

Correct me if I'm wrong. If you could change it from camera to world space the step size would the same in both. Unless, the camera in one off the shots had been scaled. I found out the hard way that very very bad things happen when the camera is scaled, with volumetrics and anything else that depends on scale (disp bounds, etc)...

S

Correct me if I'm wrong. If you could change it from camera to world space the step size would the same in both. Unless, the camera in one off the shots had been scaled. I found out the hard way that very very bad things happen when the camera is scaled, with volumetrics and anything else that depends on scale (disp bounds, etc)...

S

Ah, yes I forgot to mention that some of the cameras we are getting from Maya have been scaled which would explain why its inconsistent, but I still would like to get a definitive answer in what the volume step value is actually measuring.

It's just the distance in camera space between each slice of the volume afaik.

What I have done in the past to remove the scaling, is to create a new camera with it's view and rotation parms linked to the scaled camera, and use a "origin" expression to link the transform to the scaled camera's world position.

You might find things render a lot faster by removing the camera scaling.