group_paint question on scattering

mangi

Hi there,

Is there anything special you must do for a group_paint to work with the scatter sop.

I have tried just about everyting , maybe I have over looked something .

This appears to be something simple , I Guess, well maybe not if I ma asking here at Odforce.

here is a simple attached of a basice example , What I am really after is to be able to have several groups on a geometry , to be able to chunk the groups out individually , into another app that isnot capable of handling large amounts of points at one single time.

There are 2 GEO the only diffence is that group GEO hase a group and group_paint has a grouppaint.

thanks mangic

groupscatter.hipnc

Edited by mangi

Can't look at your hip file or do an example right now but I assume you are having a problem where your painted group is not transferring to your scattered points?

If that is the case it is because that the Scatter cannot do any sort of tranferance/interpolation of the group membership. A way to get what you want would be to instead of using a Group Paint, you would create an attribute, "togroup" for example, then use a Paint sop, overriding Color with that attribute name, and painting your group that way. The scatter will do interpolation of the attribute values so points in regions that you painted would have values > 0. You could do your scatter and use a group sop with an expression like $TOGROUP > 0.5, to get all the points that were in those regions.

Can't look at your hip file or do an example right now but I assume you are having a problem where your painted group is not transferring to your scattered points?

If that is the case it is because that the Scatter cannot do any sort of tranferance/interpolation of the group membership. A way to get what you want would be to instead of using a Group Paint, you would create an attribute, "togroup" for example, then use a Paint sop, overriding Color with that attribute name, and painting your group that way. The scatter will do interpolation of the attribute values so points in regions that you painted would have values > 0. You could do your scatter and use a group sop with an expression like $TOGROUP > 0.5, to get all the points that were in those regions.

Thanks graham,

I really appreciate this solution , It works well now.

was kind of stuck there

cheers