Rendering World Normals in range -1 to 1

kensonuken

I am working on relighting stuff and when I render out bent normal Im getting the values which are in range 0-1 rather than -1 to 1

whats the process to get this ?

Hi Kensonuken,

At first guess, I wonder if you're rendering to 8bit. Check your quantinization settings.

cheers,

-j

Mario Im talking about worldspace normals instead of camera space...

It doesn't matter which space you're talking about, what I said applies to *all* vectors (positional, directional or normal) in *any* space -- they will all have real-valued components (that means big-R Real numbers, which means [-inf,+inf]).

Please check the pixel values I couldnt find any negative value in it..

Well, yes, you're getting positive-valued components in your rendered normals, but the reason is entirely attributable to "operator error" rather than some flaw in the occlusion function. Here are some of the flaws I caught after a very quick look ("very quick" only because I find it very time consuming to wade through a forest of spaghetti VOP connections and temporary variables):

1. Angles are supposed to be in *radians*, and in the case of a sampling cone, it refers to the half-angle.

2. You set the Transform VOP's "Interpretation" parameter to "Position", when it should have been "Normal" (you're transforming normals, not positions -- they are different animals when it comes to transformations). This was your biggest problem.

Here's the bent normal output with your original shader (and yes, it's clearly "wrong"):

post-148-1232038720_thumb.jpg

And here it is with those changes. (it *does* have negative-valued components as you would expect, but I've remapped them to be positive for display purposes only).

post-148-1232038724_thumb.jpg

And here's your hip file with the modifications:

bent_send_mgm.hipnc

I didn't even look at the rest of the shader, so there might well be other little bombs lurking in there. I only looked at the VOPs involved in the bent-normal calculation.

Cheers.