Assigning shaders to faces

Farsheed Ashouri

Hi everybody. I am sure you will hear my name from now on.. Because i am new to houdini and also I am a master in maya. :blink:

Starting my travel with a simple question:

How can I assign shaders to faces in houdini?

I import an obj from maya. It is a Car and has many parts so I need to assign many materials to various faces.

sincerely,

Farsheed Ashouri,

Tehran, Iran.

Hi and welcome. First you should select the faces in the viewport, and then you have two options:

- either use the "Extract" shelf tool (in the "modify" shelf tab) to extract these faces into a new object which you can then assign the material to as usual

- or, after selecting them, press tab in the viewport, and select "group geometry". This will create a new node that declares a group containing the faces you had selected - feel free to rename the group in the node's parameters. Then, append a "material" SOP node to the group node, and set the uppermost parameter "group" to the name of the group that you just created before, and you are free to assign the material to these faces.

cheers,

Abdelkareem

Hi and welcome. First you should select the faces in the viewport, and then you have two options:

- either use the "Extract" shelf tool (in the "modify" shelf tab) to extract these faces into a new object which you can then assign the material to as usual

- or, after selecting them, press tab in the viewport, and select "group geometry". This will create a new node that declares a group containing the faces you had selected - feel free to rename the group in the node's parameters. Then, append a "material" SOP node to the group node, and set the uppermost parameter "group" to the name of the group that you just created before, and you are free to assign the material to these faces.

cheers,

Abdelkareem

Thanks 'anamous' for being my first Houdini mentor. Really appreciate for your help. I'll test it and keep you posted.

Take care,

Farsheed.

hi and welcome!

Also to mention here that if You assign materials in maya, You will have those groups available in houdini, so You can easily assign materials at SOP level, alltough its not that efficient than assigning them at OBJ level.