radial explosion

meeotch

I've been having some issues trying to get something that resembles a radially expanding ball of gas. Attached is a simple hip file: Sphere used as a smoke source, point velocities set to point radially outward from the center. There's also a popnet with some particles being advected by the fluid to make the motion a bit easier to see.

Rather than a (relatively) sphere-shaped expanding ball of smoke, I'm consistently getting a cloverleaf shaped thing. I've also trying turning on "compress gas", thinking that it might be a compressibility issue, but no dice.

Increasing the container resolution affects the shape, but it still doesn't look like a simple ball-shape explosion. (Though it does look pretty cool, in an abstract way.)

Any advice from the fluid gurus out there?

post-4283-1233088560_thumb.jpg

post-4283-1233088566_thumb.jpg

shot010_blast_demo.hip

I had a quick look at your hip, I think there are a couple things happening.

With these velocities the sim is unstable, try raising the minimum substeps on the smoke solver.

Also the resolution will play a large part, with voxels so large in relation to your sphere there will only be a few velocities sampled, so try raising the divisions quite a bit.

Hope that helps!