Houdini GPD C++ Library

Hi folks, I want to export the density/vel data in smoke container, just as simple as below,

post-4385-1233789949_thumb.png

Output the density data of each frame to bgeo format, then I want to extract the data, found Houdini GPD Library on sf.net but found nothing about volumn primitive support, in HDK the function is complete. So how should I then ? Thanks.

Hi folks, I want to export the density/vel data in smoke container, just as simple as below,

post-4385-1233789949_thumb.png

Output the density data of each frame to bgeo format, then I want to extract the data, found Houdini GPD Library on sf.net but found nothing about volumn primitive support, in HDK the function is complete. So how should I then ? Thanks.

Are you trying to write an external program to access volume data stored in .bgeo files? If so, that's very doable with the HDK. The only problem is that any standalone program that uses the HDK consumes a Houdini license, I believe. But on one computer that should be fine even with an Apprentice license.

As far as I know, the GPD library on Sourceforge only exists so you can write bgeo format into your application without taking up a Houdini license.

There's an example that comes with the HDK that is a standalone program that creates volumes and writes them out to a .bgeo format. It's built using 'hcustom -s'. see:

$HFS/toolkit/samples/standalone/gengeovolume.C

There are Makefiles you can include into your own in $HFS/toolkit/makefiles

Sorry if I'm not understanding the question correctly.

Are you trying to write an external program to access volume data stored in .bgeo files? If so, that's very doable with the HDK. The only problem is that any standalone program that uses the HDK consumes a Houdini license, I believe. But on one computer that should be fine even with an Apprentice license.

As far as I know, the GPD library on Sourceforge only exists so you can write bgeo format into your application without taking up a Houdini license.

There's an example that comes with the HDK that is a standalone program that creates volumes and writes them out to a .bgeo format. It's built using 'hcustom -s'. see:

$HFS/toolkit/samples/standalone/gengeovolume.C

There are Makefiles you can include into your own in $HFS/toolkit/makefiles

Sorry if I'm not understanding the question correctly.

Yes, I am trying to extract the density data to render with Pixie, build an point cloud then convert it to brick. I have tried use both HDK and manual C++ code to do this job. And I abandon the GPD library because it's too limited.

Thanks for you reply.

Here is little hack I made a while back - a standalone hdk program that can extract the volumes from a bgeo, you should be able to bend it to your needs.

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/misc/torawvol.C

To compile it (using hcustom -s) you need the blitz c++ library, but you could easily remove this dependency.

-Drew

Yes, I am trying to extract the density data to render with Pixie, build an point cloud then convert it to brick. I have tried use both HDK and manual C++ code to do this job. And I abandon the GPD library because it's too limited.

Thanks for you reply.

Edited by eloop

Here is little hack I made a while back - a standalone hdk program that can extract the volumes from a bgeo, you should be able to bend it to your needs.

http://anusf.anu.edu.au/~drw900/houdini/misc/torawvol.C

To compile it (using hcustom -s) you need the blitz c++ library, but you could easily remove this dependency.

-Drew

Your code is very similar with mine :lol:

Thanks for your reply.