Unwrap render / baking shows artifacts

Hello all,

i recently investigated in rendering lightmaps in Houdini. I liked the mantra -u option, but, after some testing, came across some limitations:

When the surface is being deformed (I am not using displacement) to a certain extent, black spots become visible, similiar to dicing errors in normal renders. However, changing the dicing option in the geometry has no effect. If I render everything with flat geometry there are no errors. I have vertex UV attributes with no overlapping UVs.

I have attached an example hip file as I have totally ran out of ideas how to fix this.

You can disable the mountain SOPs and the render should be without artifacts. I suggest this could have something to do with the camera, but I do not know.

I would be very greatful if somebody could shed some light on this - I am clearly doing something wrong here.

Thanks

Johann

bake_lighting.hipnc

post-2910-1233924217_thumb.jpg

post-2910-1233924233_thumb.jpg

Edited by jwoelper

To quote myself, I found out that these artifacts are dependent on the current perspective camera.

If I look at the scene loosely from the top (in the direction of the negative y-axis) the artifacts disappear. If I tilt the view, they appear again. Should'nt the render be independent of the scene camera? At least, I did specify /obj/cam1 as camera in the mantra output node...

Could this be a bug?

(I am still under 9.1.244 here, will test this with 9.5.x)

Cheers

Johann

Hello all,

i recently investigated in rendering lightmaps in Houdini. I liked the mantra -u option, but, after some testing, came across some limitations:

When the surface is being deformed (I am not using displacement) to a certain extent, black spots become visible, similiar to dicing errors in normal renders. However, changing the dicing option in the geometry has no effect. If I render everything with flat geometry there are no errors. I have vertex UV attributes with no overlapping UVs.

I have attached an example hip file as I have totally ran out of ideas how to fix this.

You can disable the mountain SOPs and the render should be without artifacts. I suggest this could have something to do with the camera, but I do not know.

I would be very greatful if somebody could shed some light on this - I am clearly doing something wrong here.

Thanks

Johann

To quote myself, I found out that these artifacts are dependent on the current perspective camera.

If I look at the scene loosely from the top (in the direction of the negative y-axis) the artifacts disappear. If I tilt the view, they appear again. Should'nt the render be independent of the scene camera? At least, I did specify /obj/cam1 as camera in the mantra output node...

Could this be a bug?

(I am still under 9.1.244 here, will test this with 9.5.x)

Cheers

Johann

I think the issue might be that in your shader, there's a "frontface()" call. This flips the normal so that it's pointing toward the camera.

Which means that the "front" of the surface will be shaded (not the back) - the part of the surface that's visible to the camera.

When unwrapping, the frontface() function can "flip" the normal to be pointing the wrong way.

So, as the position/orientation/view of the camera changes, the black patches would also change (since different parts would be front-facing).

I think the easiest solution would be to change the shader so that the frontface call is eliminated.