How to make a digital asset based on an existing op?

melazoma

Hi all,

I have a RenderMan RunProgram that I want to hook into Houdini.

I started by adding spare parameters to the RMan Run Program geometry shop to build a UI for the RunProgram's options.

Now that the UI is done, I'm looking for a way to turn this shop into its own type so I can keep the code tidy and distribute it as a digital asset.

The geometry shops don't have an option to convert to a digital asset. Any suggestions on how to do this?

TIA

PS: Currently the custom UI exists as a gallery item for the existing RMan Run Program shop. I'd really like to keep it separately.

Edited by melazoma

Thanks so much for the suggestion.

Running along "making a new type", I ended up creating a new geometry shop type from File > New Operator Type.

Apparently all it takes to trigger the RunProgram rib output is the geometry shop's "Shader Name" as defined in the Operator Type Properties dialog. (RunProgram in this case)

I was able to copy and paste all the parameters I added for the original RunProgram to the new geometry shop in one shot and it just works.

Houdini is just so cool about not making you redo stuff. :lol: