Sound Driven Animation - Create Colours

dornak

Hi, I am doing a sound driven animation in which groups of objects move to a piece of music, I have come to grips with using CHOPS and have been able to implement some lovely effects in the motion of the objects.

I would like to now add some color or lights, for example when the objects move to their peak points they change color and when they move back down they change again, or light up. I was wondering if anyone knows how to or knows of any good tutorials that can help in achieving this while a CHOPS network is working to move the objects.

I have attached my work so you can better understand what I am doing.

Thank you x

chop_sound_delay_newpattern.hipnc

Hi, I am doing a sound driven animation in which groups of objects move to a piece of music, I have come to grips with using CHOPS and have been able to implement some lovely effects in the motion of the objects.

I would like to now add some color or lights, for example when the objects move to their peak points they change color and when they move back down they change again, or light up. I was wondering if anyone knows how to or knows of any good tutorials that can help in achieving this while a CHOPS network is working to move the objects.

I have attached my work so you can better understand what I am doing.

Thank you x

Have you tried using an Export CHOP to export the channel to drive your light color (light_colorr, light_colorg, light_colorb)?

Look at the Trigger CHOP. It is the CHOP to turn to when you want to trigger an event. It is an ADSR (Attack Decay Sustain Release) trigger.

You can use the Hold CHOP if you want to hold the actual value indefinitely.

See the attached hip file for a simple example of how to trigger a light with CHOPs.

The CHOP network is in /ch btw.

chop_trigger_light.hip

Look at the Trigger CHOP. It is the CHOP to turn to when you want to trigger an event. It is an ADSR (Attack Decay Sustain Release) trigger.

You can use the Hold CHOP if you want to hold the actual value indefinitely.

See the attached hip file for a simple example of how to trigger a light with CHOPs.

The CHOP network is in /ch btw.

chop_trigger_light.hip

Hey there, thanks for the help! Ive had a look at it, and tried to understand what was happening.

So basically you add a trigger node in the chops network and apply it to the geometry and within the geometry you also include a point light, but must you pass in some kind of expression to get the objects that are moving to flick the light on and off when they reach their peak positions ?

Have you tried using an Export CHOP to export the channel to drive your light color (light_colorr, light_colorg, light_colorb)?

The export chop is used to drive the translates of the objects, how do I plug in this to a color node?

The export chop is used to drive the translates of the objects, how do I plug in this to a color node?

You can create as many Export CHOPs as necessary to drive any of your channels. Just make sure your export flag (the brown one) is turned on for each Export CHOP.

You can create as many Export CHOPs as necessary to drive any of your channels. Just make sure your export flag (the brown one) is turned on for each Export CHOP.

yes I understand but where do I plug in the chops for it to affect the color? and how to switch on and off at certain points in the song?