Fur question - please

nmn

Hi everyone i've been trying for 3~4 hours now to be able to guide the fur using custom curves and i wasn't able to get it to work.

the thing is that i used shave and hair cut to create hair fur for my caracter in maya, then i converted the guides of my shave hairs to curves

then i imported them in houdini and now houdini recognizes them as curves and all is ok.

then i imported the obj of my caracter and i created default fur on it, then i tried to use my imported curves as guide curves to replace the (line+geometry+copy) combination

i tried many approaches (and i transfered the hairroot and furlength... and all the attributes to my imported curves)

but... the outcome is messed up hair in fact the hairs are offset from the surface, and it's as if every hair was offset randomly, while if i visualize my curves and my caracter they are matching 100%

hope i explained my problem in a clear way and i hope that you could have an answer that would help me solve this problem

note : i also need to animate the caracter so the curve have to also follow the surface

thanks in advance

Regards

Edited by nmn

Thanks for your answer Owl

i checked out the files in the thread you pointed me to, and i saw that you have it working

but the problem is that i tried using the same approach for my scene and it was then that i realised

that ... well since i have almost 5700 guides (a big caracter) it's very very very slow

with my quad core PC and i was frustrated and stopped it, any way to go around that ... or dunno any ideas ...

and it's bizzare because even if i use only 10 guides of my 5700 guides it still takes few minutes to cmopute :S:S

thanks again

Regards

Edited by nmn

Thanks for your answer Owl

i checked out the files in the thread you pointed me to, and i saw that you have it working

but the problem is that i tried using the same approach for my scene and it was then that i realised

that ... well since i have almost 5700 guides (a big caracter) it's very very very slow

with my quad core PC and i was frustrated and stopped it, any way to go around that ... or dunno any ideas ...

and it's bizzare because even if i use only 10 guides of my 5700 guides it still takes few minutes to cmopute :S:S

thanks again

Regards

Could you post some simplified version of your scene, so we can take a look what is wrong with it?

Could you post some simplified version of your scene, so we can take a look what is wrong with it?

thanks for your reply symek, i'm analyzing it right now, i think there is no "problem" with the scene

but the thing is that we are iterating here over 5700 imported curves and 5700 houdini created curves

with everyone having 9 points on it, and we are moving every point from houd's curves to its corresponding point

on imported curves, which makes a huuuuge amount of calculation, so.... :S:S

isn't there any fast way to detect that another curve passes in the same point in space, and change the ID of the

imported curve to match that created curve, or maybe a way to detect the ID of the point at the base of the curve

then apply that same ID to the curve ?

Thanks

Regards

Edited by nmn

i think you've stopped reading to early :)

since i don`t remember witch of of the posted files i have used here`s the final result of what i came up with

owl_redo_guide_curves.otl

P.S. basically it`s edwards sollution with a few additional features

thanks for your reply symek, i'm analyzing it right now, i think there is no "problem" with the scene

but the thing is that we are iterating here over 5700 imported curves and 5700 houdini created curves

with everyone having 9 points on it, and we are moving every point from houd's curves to its corresponding point

on imported curves, which makes a huuuuge amount of calculation, so.... :S:S

isn't there any fast way to detect that another curve passes in the same point in space, and change the ID of the

imported curve to match that created curve, or maybe a way to detect the ID of the point at the base of the curve

then apply that same ID to the curve ?

Thanks

Regards

Edited by Owl

Thanks OWL , that was very helpful

and ye this approach is alooot faster then the one with the sphere lol

though i had to tweak it up a bit, i took the threshold all the way down in the attribtransfer since i have the hairs very close to each other, and i changed first match to last match ( here i have a small question - in fact i knew that i had to take it to last match after experiments and attributes visulaization ... etc, though i didn't find it logical ... unless the first and last matches aren't related to the points IDs, because in fact my first match was the one with highest ID and the last match was the one with lowest ID and i find that ... well ..kind of bizzare - any explanation ?)

thanks again for the help

Regards