I have new confusion this time

Hello everybody.

Thank you for help last time.

I now have new confusion.

{1} Where I can find project setup documents? In maya you have Project>set. In Softimage you have Project Manager. I no see same thing in houdini? Me only see variables like $Home and $Job.

How I can define my e drive for my project? I want make folder like e:/HoudiniLearning/Modeling. When I save file, I want houdini to give me option to jump to folder I make.

Do I make all folders inside for shader or houdini make them?

{2} I watch animation video and guy say scope channels. What does mean that? Me think it mean view graph of animation curves. This right?

{3} How I can have reference models? I want make model in 1 file and then import or link in other file for animation. If i need make change to my model I open 1st file and the change also happen in animation file? Make sense ok? Maybe you tell me your idea how you work like this in houdini. I no want everything in 1 file, I want keep everything clean.

If too much questions, I sorry. Maybe you tell me where I read for answer?

Michael M

there is a perl script > thread

that can help. You'll need to install Perl though.

otherwise you can just make a directory structure that makes sence for you and use Houdini's built in $JOB variable, just set this as an environment variable to the path you want, then in Houdini you can 'jump' to the JOB location.

for question #3 I'd say this is what the new OTL's are for, check out the new users_guide section of the help files...I haven't really had a chance to work with them yet so I can't really describe the workflow...anyone?...Jim?