crisp edges - hard normals ...with unique points ?

nmn

how to harden the normals on polygons to obtain crisp edges without obtaining unique points ...

the equivalent of maya soften and harden edges, because in maya you can harden the edges then continue editing the vertices of your object as usual,

in houdini editing the vertices, well ... becomes difficult with 3 or more vertices on each corner)

the only two ways i know of are the cusp and the facet nodes and both of them make unique points

Thanks for your help

Regards

Ah sryy :blush: seems i did it again , i think i should've posted it in the modeling section ...

Edited by nmn

thanks for your answers,

stevenong you method of transfering N was very simple and it does the job quite well thanks for that :)

though when i played with your file some other questions popped up in my head :

- why there is point and vertex texture i mean in a texture sop why would one want to use point texture, i thought its always vertex we work with, what are the differences and the pros cons, coz i saw that each give different results in some cases but in all ...

- i thought naturally the normals should be on the vertices, so how come it's only since v9 they added those :S

any clarificatin around those point-vertex thingies would be much appreciated

Thanks , Best Regards