post-frame scripts

itriix

hey everyone,

i've been trying to find information on post-frame scripts but haven't found much. i'm trying to get some information printed out with my renders, such as particle count, or polys, render time, hip file, take, frame... not necessarily all of that information but i'd definitely like to know HOW to get all of that information in there...

i'd also like to know an altered version that can tell me Hip-File_Take_Object_Renderpass(examples:diffuse, specular...)_Framenumber

either as a watermark of some sort on the render, or even more preferably, if the information could somehow be printed in a different channel, that i could have tied into cops, and put into a layer that is overlayed ontop of the render. *i'm looking for the ability to take it off when i don't need it.* but it's great for showing in dailies.

any help would be greatly appreciated in advance!!

thanks much,

Jonathan

This will take a bit more time to get into, but for now here are some suggestions:

If you want it as a separate renderpass, you could feed some of that information into a font sop (parented to the current camera), using a switch node that will switch between fonts with different expressions, feeding different information. Should be easy to set that up in a take. (seems a bit wasteful as you would have to render them though).

otherwise call it a separate python script to create the extra image, something like this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/748453/...ython-using-pil

This will take a bit more time to get into, but for now here are some suggestions:

If you want it as a separate renderpass, you could feed some of that information into a font sop (parented to the current camera), using a switch node that will switch between fonts with different expressions, feeding different information. Should be easy to set that up in a take. (seems a bit wasteful as you would have to render them though).

first off, thanks so much for the reply. i definitely do not want to have anything that will be "wasteful" however. i was watching the "sesi wedge" tutorial and it refers to using an expression in the post-frame render script section of mantra...

unix hwatermark -x 4 10 -m "$WEDGE" `chs("vm_picture")` `chs("vm_picture")` $HFS/houdini/fonts_texture/Fixed-Bold.24

i'm wondering if this can be used in a way to essentially print to an external file that could then automatically be loaded in with a cop as a simple text layer. (sorry, i'm not sure if there is any way of doing that) so thinking out loud right now. but then simply take this information in cops and plug it into a layer node, along with a file node, that is referencing the output path of the mantra render. setting the layer property to over, so then i could just rerender it together *which would be super fast* just so that i can have a dailies version of it to show with all of the information built into my shot, and then if they like it, i wouldn't have to RERENDER the whole thing, i can just use the "renders" that originally rendered

otherwise call it a separate python script to create the extra image, something like this:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/748453/...ython-using-pil

hmmm... i'm not sure what's going on in here. sorry my "python" in "houdini" knowledge is very limited at the moment. it's definately something i'm trying to remedy though. i'm thinking playing with this render script will teach me a few things that i didn't know before.

edit: also having trouble figuring out how to even get this "how much time it took to render a frame" information from... this sounds like some command line feeback type of stuff, but i don't have much houdini command line experience

thanks so much for your response, and i'd love to get more feedback also

Jonathan

Edited by itriix