image sequence in VEX

Ezz

Hi again.

Forgive my noobness all the time. I seem to ram into walls all the time at the moment learning Houdini.

So I hope to get some help from you guys.

Im building a shader with displacement. I have a texturesequence that I want to controle my displacement amount.

But the Texture VEX node does not support imagesequence - How can I use a imagesequence as displacement ??

Thanks a lot.

Erik

Hi again.

Forgive my noobness all the time. I seem to ram into walls all the time at the moment learning Houdini.

So I hope to get some help from you guys.

Im building a shader with displacement. I have a texturesequence that I want to controle my displacement amount.

But the Texture VEX node does not support imagesequence - How can I use a imagesequence as displacement ??

Turn the VOP's texture input into a parameter (Parameter VOP), then you'll be able to specify your image sequence as a shader parameter (not a VOP parameter/input). VOP parameters/inputs cannot have animated or varying defaults, but shader parameters can. Make sense?

Turn the VOP's texture input into a parameter (Parameter VOP), then you'll be able to specify your image sequence as a shader parameter (not a VOP parameter/input). VOP parameters/inputs cannot have animated or varying defaults, but shader parameters can. Make sense?

Hi mario.

Thanks man. It did the trick!!!

It works like a charm.

Love this forum

Erik

hey I did the same but was wondering its mapping my texture on each faces rather then a full texture mapped on my plane(I have used uv project for uv's)

any idea what am i missing..?

cheers,

Junaid

Hi mario.

Thanks man. It did the trick!!!

It works like a charm.

Love this forum

Erik

hey I did the same but was wondering its mapping my texture on each faces rather then a full texture mapped on my plane(I have used uv project for uv's)

any idea what am i missing..?

That's completely determined by the type of uv projection -- i.e: it's unrelated to Ezz's image sequence issue.

yeah I agree to that but just wondering if i happen do this sometime, i would defently require S T info passing through properly, I am piping S T to texture S T node

but its not giving me texture wraped on the surface as other surface shader is giving me by default.

I am attaching a file for it if you would like to add some other nodes to make it work.

Cheers,

Junaid

That's completely determined by the type of uv projection -- i.e: it's unrelated to Ezz's image sequence issue.

grid_map.hip

yeah I agree to that but just wondering if i happen do this sometime, i would defently require S T info passing through properly, I am piping S T to texture S T node

but its not giving me texture wraped on the surface as other surface shader is giving me by default.

I am attaching a file for it if you would like to add some other nodes to make it work.

S and T are surface parameters (aka: "parametric UVs"), not texture UVs. In the case of polygonal surfaces, S and T will span [0,1] per face. If your grid had been a mesh, for example, then the texture would have covered the entire grid (as you seem to expect), but because it is a polygonal grid, then you get one full texture per face. In short, your shader is ignoring your UVs and using ST instead. To get at the UVs that you assigned with the UVProject SOP, you can use a ShadingLayer VOP (see attached).

Hope that makes sense.

grid_map2.hip

ohh cool, thank you sir now i got it.

Thanks,

Junaid

S and T are surface parameters (aka: "parametric UVs"), not texture UVs. In the case of polygonal surfaces, S and T will span [0,1] per face. If your grid had been a mesh, for example, then the texture would have covered the entire grid (as you seem to expect), but because it is a polygonal grid, then you get one full texture per face. In short, your shader is ignoring your UVs and using ST instead. To get at the UVs that you assigned with the UVProject SOP, you can use a ShadingLayer VOP (see attached).

Hope that makes sense.

grid_map2.hip