using wxPython in Houdini

cspears2002

I am currently using Houdini Apprentice 10.0.295 on a laptop running Windows Vista 32 bit. I am trying to work on some tutorials out of the 3D Buzz Python: Creating Tools in Houdini DVD.

Following the dvd's' instructions, I copied the wx folder from C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-ansi to C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 10.0.295\houdini\scripts\python to install wxPython in Houdini's python.

I tried to run a little script I wrote from the shelf and got the following two error messages:

This application has failed to start because python26.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

My problem is I am running Python 2.6 on my laptop, so I installed wxPython for Python 2.6. However, the Python installed in Houdini is Python 2.5. Any solutions?

I have Python 2.5 on my laptop, so I decided to just install wxPython for Python 2.5. I downloaded wxPython and began to run the file and got this error message:

No installation of Python 2.5 found in registry. Be sure to enter a pathname that places wxPython on the PYTHONPATH.

After I accepted the error message, the installer launched, and I started to install wxPython. However, at the end, I got another error message:

Unable to execute file:

C:\Put a directory on PYTHONPATH here\python.exe

Create Process failed; code 2.

The system cannot find the file specified.

Not sure what to do...I thought I pointed the installer to the proper directories...

I am currently using Houdini Apprentice 10.0.295 on a laptop running Windows Vista 32 bit. I am trying to work on some tutorials out of the 3D Buzz Python: Creating Tools in Houdini DVD.

Following the dvd's' instructions, I copied the wx folder from C:\Python26\Lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-ansi to C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 10.0.295\houdini\scripts\python to install wxPython in Houdini's python.

I tried to run a little script I wrote from the shelf and got the following two error messages:

This application has failed to start because python26.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.

DLL load failed: The specified module could not be found.

My problem is I am running Python 2.6 on my laptop, so I installed wxPython for Python 2.6. However, the Python installed in Houdini is Python 2.5. Any solutions?

I recently installed wx on a 64 bit vista machine, although I added both the wx and wxPython folders to houdini's python directory. Also, in H10, you can use the unicode version. The version you want to download is here (for 32 bit windows). After downloading it, install it to a temp directory, unless you're current version is python 2.5. After it installs, copy the wx AND wxPython folders to $HFS/python/lib/python2.5 (C:\Program FIles(x86)\Sidefx Software\Houdini10.267\python\lib\python2.5\ being an example). After that you can try importing wx into the python shell within houdini. If some of my paths are off I'm sorry. I'm at work on linux atm. Just make sure the directory you're copying the folders to contains all the .py,.pyc files for houdini. Hope that works.