cloth object glue

mic

hello!

tell me please how can i glue cloth objects? like glue in rbd. so, i have nice rbd simulation with glueing objects when they are collided and i want to add the 'elastic' effect. rbd state dop works only with rbd solvers..

the idea was to switch solvers at the collision.. i haven't tried this yet, but i think that's not what i want .. any other ideas? )

I've attached constraint sample with one cloth constrainted to another, and the other that has stuff constrained to it constrained to world space. :P:P

Not sure about the impacts; now that you mention it I do not see impact data for cloth cloth. Perhaps someone else could chime in?

GW

thank you, GallenWolf!

aha, that's the question ..

but also i think that's not very good solution, using constraints..

when two rbd objects are collided, we use RBD State DOP and put one object in the 'glue object' field..

what does this actually mean in houdini ? i think maybe smth like fieldforce which appears from one object to another ?..

so maybe 'glueing' can be simulated somehow using forces? but anyway we need impact data..

I've attached constraint sample with one cloth constrainted to another, and the other that has stuff constrained to it constrained to world space. :P:P

Not sure about the impacts; now that you mention it I do not see impact data for cloth cloth. Perhaps someone else could chime in?

GW

Yup cloth doesn't 'do' impact data. It's a self contained system that has your input geo, measures deformations that are being applied to it and then applies reactionary internal forces to move points to a new position. The best way to glue it to something would be to either use spring constraints (for dynamic snapping), or set pintoanimation to 1 on a bunch of points that you want to follow an object- then animate them to 0 to unglue the geo. Just be sure to set "support changing coefficients" to 1 on the cloth solver. A masterclass recording of the cloth presentation is now up on the SESI website, so that will help you too.

-M

mic,

I'm totally lost by what you want. Could you explain it again? I just don't understand when the rbd state dop mixes in with the impact data?

Even with the absence of impact data, surely there is a way to use say, the sop solver to detect and set attributes, or perhaps run two simulations etc.

GW