Help on the op command for reading operators instead of files

Hi,

I'm making a digital asset that basically does an attribute transfer from points in sops to volumes. As part of this I am reading point clouds with pcopen inside vops. Rather than writing and reading pointclouds to disk I would like to read from an node directly.

I've gone through some of the examples for point clouds I found here: http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fi...p;versionid=208 (This is mentioned when you look in the help for pcopen() as a vex function)

and noticed that the "op:" is sometimes used to read from an operator instead of from a file. So you would get in the filename parameter:

op:/obj/geo1/my_node

rather than

$HIP/geo/my_geo.bgeo

I would like to know where to find help on this "op:" as it is not an expression and searching for it makes houdini help crash.

Does anybody know?

Also I ran into a little problem as I was wrapping it up in a digital asset and my paths needed to be relative. The "op:" command does not like relative paths. I can't state:

op:../my_node

I managed to get it to work by using a opfullpath() expression but would like to understand "op:" better - and maybe there are similar commands like it that could help me in my workflow:

op:`opfullpath("../my_node")`

Any ideas?

I managed to get it to work by using a opfullpath() expression but would like to understand "op:" better

As far as I know op needs fullpaths.

It is also con sidered uncool to use it in shaders to fetch cops as this will result in aliased texture maps.

There is also opdef wich grabs parts of digitals assets. Eg if you want to ship a default point cloud with your asset.

I never managed to read a Lsystem rules.txt via opdef, though.