Can someone help guide me on my student project?

mightcouldb1

Hello again, I long for the day when I can actually post some finished work on these forums instead of just asking questions. But until that day...

I am working on a live action shot for a student project and want to make some ivy and various plants grow around a girl and various objects in the shot. I have created some ivy with L-systems but I want to take it to the next level. I wanted to see what the general consensus on the best way to do this is. Is there some way to make the plants dynamic and have collision detection? Or will I have to rig everything and hand animate it. What I am trying to go for is similar to this:

http://rsp.com.au/portfolio/flv/ruins.htm

I have 5 weeks to build this system and have already shot the footage. Hopefully I can get it done and actually post some work for once!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mightcouldb1

Yo dude. You can this kind of basic collision detection with SOPs only - attached. You can use the Ray Sop in conjunction with the Wire Deform SOP to pose your lsystem.

You could run the deformer curve thru the wire solver to get collision, but this is hopefully not necessary.

lsystemcollision.hip

Respect to C at Drexel for showing a similar example in class

• Like 2

Yo dude. You can this kind of basic collision detection with SOPs only - attached. You can use the Ray Sop in conjunction with the Wire Deform SOP to pose your lsystem.

You could run the deformer curve thru the wire solver to get collision, but this is hopefully not necessary.

lsystemcollision.hip

Respect to C at Drexel for showing a similar example in class

Thanks for that one Brian! My next question is about getting some hero vines that are trying to grab something in the shot (the vines are basically floating in the air). How would I create a rig that would let me animate some of the hero vines with some secondary animation(leaves blowing, moss hanging) while still allowing some l-system growth? I understand the example above but would that only work for deforming along a surface? Thanks!

Edited by mightcouldb1

you can put rules in an l-system that will grow your vines to a point in space...

check out the l-system sop help card:

$(x,y,z)

Rotates the turtle so the up vector is (0,1,0). Points the turtle in the direction of the point (x,y,z). Default behavior is only to orient and not to change the direction.

check out the file:

grow_to_point.hipnc

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks michael. Thats almost exactly what I'm looking for. I think what I will do is create a serious of vines using Brian's method for the the background growth. Then rig and hand animate a couple main vines that will have more emotion than could be achieved procedurally. And then have a series of vines that will use michael's method. One question for michael's setup though is how do I make the vines more dynamic in space and have secondary motion? I'm assuming by using a wire solver?

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Thank you for this thread and files! I’m currently learning l-systems and I’ve got a couple of questions:

-The above method works good on l-systems that generate straight up, but it got wacky when I tried using it with the crack preset. What is the changes to the method should I make to generate an l-system that is shifting directions along the geometry like that?

-What is the proper rule syntax for “!” to make the thickness gradually decrease over each generation? Also I know that only works when type is set to “tube”. However, for some reason when I set to that, the l-system won’t work with the above method.

CrackOnGeo.hipnc

Edited by venator11387