Mantra vs Modo Renderer

Hi, friends

I just wondering, if there anybody who use modo for its rendering purposes?

Maybe someone can answer me why renderer in modo is so fast? I don't want to say anything bad about mantra, prman, mental ray and others. I use mantra a lot, but, for example now I am working on the liquid simulation in houdini, and I am on the rendering stage. I have a lot of liquid and glass in the scene, and I use PBR. But when I just for fun opened scene in modo, assigned glass material, I got a very good result on default parameters 10 or more time faster then in Mantra. Maybe someone knows what's the trick was made in modo to such speed up renderer and why other renderers don't try follow their way?

Edited by ITdreamer

Here are some tests.

First picture was rendered in Mantra with PBR, 15 pixer samples. Render Time about 15 min. It also hase little bit of noise, and small artifacts.

Second picture was rendered in Modo with global illumination. Render Time, about 5 min. No noise, no artifacts.

Well, lighting in these pictures are little bit different because I used different HDRS.

As for me, mantra pic looks little bit tasty, than modo's, but the render time has huge difference. And also mantra render cant be final in case of noise and small artifacts. Maybe someone knows any tricks to speed up mantra render and get accurate results?

post-3629-124827692732_thumb.jpg

post-3629-124827694851_thumb.jpg

Edited by ITdreamer

Two very different renderers, comparison is pretty much invalid. Sorry to say it this way, but specially WRT renderers it's really hard to compare engines feature-wise or speed-wise. There's hardly any undiscovered magic, and solving the lighting equation will force developers to compromise on either quality/fidelity, flexibility or speed. Each developer weights these three aspects in different ways, and they approach optimization of different subsystems from different angles, so each and every one will have advantages and disadvantages.

That being said, your Mantra scene would profit from tight reflection limits, higher min refl. ratio, color limit to get rid of the overbright pixels, and possibly predicing to help speed up the ray intersections. If you post your scene I can try these out.

cheers,

Abdelkareem

Edited by anamous

Two very different renderers, comparison is pretty much invalid. Sorry to say it this way, but specially WRT renderers it's really hard to compare engines feature-wise or speed-wise. There's hardly any undiscovered magic, and solving the lighting equation will force developers to compromise on either quality/fidelity, flexibility or speed. Each developer weights these three aspects in different ways, and they approach optimization of different subsystems from different angles, so each and every one will have advantages and disadvantages.

That being said, your Mantra scene would profit from tight reflection limits, higher min refl. ratio, color limit to get rid of the overbright pixels, and possibly predicing to help speed up the ray intersections. If you post your scene I can try these out.

cheers,

Abdelkareem

Here is the scene. All the parameters are the same as I use in render. I also tweaked little bit mantra ROP by decreasing Color Limit Parameter to reduse white points artifacts, and sat Ray Shading Quality to 0.5

Maybe you could optimize it a little.

Thanks

Cup_of_Tea.hip