Viscosity and elasticity in POPs?

thanaras

The answer is both no and yes. As far as I know there is no tool included in the stock Houdini to allow you to do this. But I'm sure it's possible to develop a viscoelastic particle fluid solver as a POP node, if you've got a programmer willing to do so :).

So the answer is probably more no than yes.

CheerZ,

Van Aarde.

The answer is both no and yes. As far as I know there is no tool included in the stock Houdini to allow you to do this. But I'm sure it's possible to develop a viscoelastic particle fluid solver as a POP node, if you've got a programmer willing to do so :) .

So the answer is probably more no than yes.

CheerZ,

Van Aarde.

The nice thing about Houdini, is you can actually create what you need without the use of programing/scripting. Depending on what you are trying to achieve, you can get nice results using either the attribute transfer POP > Smooth Particle Sampling or if you are familiar with point clouds, you could create a VOP POP and feed seed points with velocity and use those seed points to drive your particle systems velocity/accel. At some point, ill try to knock together a basic example.

This file will simulate the viscosity through the interact pop and drag pop. I could not get a smoothing of the velocities to work because I think I read somewhere that pointclouds in pops do not work (perhaps this was one of the reasons why those flocking systems in pops don't seem to work in vops.).

Also did that sdf collision vop pop so the particles slide over a collision object.

The avi is an .mp4

particles_viscosity_04.hipnc

viscosity_02.avi

This file will simulate the viscosity through the interact pop and drag pop. I could not get a smoothing of the velocities to work because I think I read somewhere that pointclouds in pops do not work (perhaps this was one of the reasons why those flocking systems in pops don't seem to work in vops.).

Also did that sdf collision vop pop so the particles slide over a collision object.

The avi is an .mp4

Point Clouds actually do work in pops. Here is a simple example.

popPointCloud_001sl.hip

Edited by SpencerL
  • Like 1

hmm, yes I see what you did. So I guess as long as you are not referencing the point cloud "file" from within the same POP context it is fine? Or is it because you are really referencing the point cloud "file" from a SOP path?

In the file I posted I have a little vop pop trying to reference a point cloud from the already existing particles (and average the v). Perhaps there is a possibility to cache the particles or use a timeshift in SOPS to be able to sample the pointcloud from the previous frame from SOPS inside of POPS.