Fur flickering

I testing the fur fuction at Houdini 10, mantra. The outcome of image sequence seems flickering alot, and it is the same after applying Dynamic.

At first I kind of suspect the flickering may causes by shadow map, therefore I changed from Raytrace shadow to Depth Map shadow, by doing so the rendering time had been shortern up and faster but yet it still flicker when the camera moves around or either the character is moving. I'm not sure what is the problem that causing the flickering, it seems nice and pretty when it's a still image, but it's totally out of question when the is a animation. The following is the setting I'm having now.

Light type: spot light

Shadow type: Depth Map Shadow

Shadow bias: 0.08

Shadow Intensity: 1

Shadow Quality: 10

Shadow Softnes: 5

Auto-generate Shadow Map: checked (on)

Shadow Map scequence: created

Resolution: 2048 x 2048

Pixal sample: 3 x 3

Render Engine: Micropolygon Rendering

sampling Sample Pixal: 8 x 8

Is there any way to solve the problem, should I use PBR rendreing???? It would be an expensive way for the machine that I'm on. :rolleyes:

Got some solution from sideFX..check out http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=16534 , it did works after applying Rest Position SOP.

But curretly i had some problem on the casting shadow. It came out unsmooth and have line on it, therefore i tried to incraese the shadow qulaity...still incrasing, the render time become more and more heavy..is there any better solution?

• 4 months later...

it's been a while but since this's been left unanswered...

about your shadows, depth map I presume:

in the light node, shadows tab, increase pixel sample to at least 2/2, but better with 3/3 or more if you need to.

make sure you use transparent shadows

have enough resolution in your shadow

add some shadow blur for cheap (but awesome) softness

Hi,

When you are rendering the sequence are you using a farm? Or a single machine? If a farm, are you remembering to to put $F in the filename? Or they overwrite each other while frames are being written simultaneously...

it's been a while but since this's been left unanswered...

about your shadows, depth map I presume:

in the light node, shadows tab, increase pixel sample to at least 2/2, but better with 3/3 or more if you need to.

make sure you use transparent shadows

have enough resolution in your shadow

add some shadow blur for cheap (but awesome) softness