Some frames of my sim run choppy then the rest runs smooth? Help Plea

Virtual Pyro

I am currently running a simulation with the pyrofx and the first 25 frames or so of my sim run choppy like its simulating then the rest of it runs smooth like its already cooked. Even after letting it simulated multiple times it does this. Even if I write it to a file node it does this. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

Hairston

I am currently running a simulation with the pyrofx and the first 25 frames or so of my sim run choppy like its simulating then the rest of it runs smooth like its already cooked. Even after letting it simulated multiple times it does this. Even if I write it to a file node it does this. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance.

Hairston

Can you say a little bit more about what kind of pyro effect you are trying to achieve (explosion, campfire, fireball...?)

"run choppy" -> not as in looks choppy when rendered, but rather does not play back as fast as the rest of the sim.

My educated guesses :

1) The simulation initially is explosive in nature and requires more calculations as you have got a rapid expansion and behavior of your simulation - so more calculations are required to come to an acceptable result by the solver. Or Collisions are influencing the simulation (that slows down the sim as well).

2) Because you state 25 frames, check if this is at exactly 25 frames. The default resetting of the rest field happens every 50 frames, but alternated which means one of the rest fiels would be reset around frame 25 or 26.

- If that is the case read this thread:

and this thread: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=16117

Otherwise share a hip file and we will test if we can replicate the choppy behavior (maybe it's a bug - so tell us also which build you are using).

Same here, and same config except for the linux distro. Just hit the flipbook button.

Yep I experience the same behaviour with pretty much every DOPs sim. I've come to expect it as a bug related to my configuration (ubuntu64, nvidia, octocore). I just render flipbooks.

cheers,

Abdelkareem

Can you say a little bit more about what kind of pyro effect you are trying to achieve (explosion, campfire, fireball...?)

"run choppy" -> not as in looks choppy when rendered, but rather does not play back as fast as the rest of the sim.

My educated guesses :

1) The simulation initially is explosive in nature and requires more calculations as you have got a rapid expansion and behavior of your simulation - so more calculations are required to come to an acceptable result by the solver. Or Collisions are influencing the simulation (that slows down the sim as well).

2) Because you state 25 frames, check if this is at exactly 25 frames. The default resetting of the rest field happens every 50 frames, but alternated which means one of the rest fiels would be reset around frame 25 or 26.

- If that is the case read this thread:

and this thread: http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=16117

Otherwise share a hip file and we will test if we can replicate the choppy behavior (maybe it's a bug - so tell us also which build you are using).

The specific pyro sim was the billowy smoke, however, it does it on the fireball as well. It does not do it every time but the ones that it DOES do it on, it does it regardless of whether or not I reload the sim or reload the saved setting. I will have to check again to see if its exactly 25 frames. I was giving an approximation. Now I understand that the initial emission may require more calculations but this is after the simulation has fully solved and is running real time. An example is: Your watching a movie at 30fps and all of a sudden it drops down to 15...it looks very choppy, however its not simulating or solving. Thats what its doing to me, however, in the opposite direction.