pulling paper out from underneath RBD's

aracid

Hey Guys

Soo I was wondering if anyone had any idea how to get a pile of marbles (or sand.. cough cough) RBD's to react to paper being pulled out from underneath them,

naturally if one does this fast - u left with this pile on your desk and the paper in ur hand, and the slower u go, the more u can bring along with u - ie classic case of inertia :)

how can i fake this, or more like, I'm stuck with something from the animation department that accelerates really quickly and this pile literally cant keep up.

just setting a high friction doesnt work, even with a thin film of marbles, they seem to stay behind.

Is there something specific i need to do to achieve this, or an area of either the obj RBD (mass, friction) or the solver that can help deal with this?

ive tried using the velocity of the animated object as a field force and driving the rbd's intially with this, but it seems like a hack.

any ideas would be great :)

brian

ive tried using the velocity of the animated object as a field force and driving the rbd's intially with this, but it seems like a hack.

That's what I was thinking to do as well.

On top of that field force you could also turn the animated object into a volume and use the gradient of the volume to help as an attraction force for the other objects. (Like turning the entire sheet into a big magnet).

Perhaps this sort of thinking could help as well:

if you pull a smooth and even piece of paper from the pile of sand, the sand stays behind.

If you pull a crumpled piece of paper from the pile, there might be more friction and more would come along.

So deforming the animated sheet of paper with a mountain sop or so might make it less smooth and therefore cause more friction, dragging more sand along.

just my two cents