How can I change the size / tiling of displacement maps, is it even po

rd1010

I've been trying to figure this out for a little while now... it seems that there is no way to control the size of a displacement map / number of instances of the map used when tiling. It seems now it is defaulting to the number of polygons which makes the use of displacement maps unusable since I have one that i want to cover most of an object.. I haven't seen anything within the shop SOP to figure out how I can control this.. it only gives an option for height.

I'm finding this to be a very strange problem as this sort of thing is pretty standard in a software package like this but it is eluding me here.

I've been trying to figure this out for a little while now... it seems that there is no way to control the size of a displacement map / number of instances of the map used when tiling. It seems now it is defaulting to the number of polygons which makes the use of displacement maps unusable since I have one that i want to cover most of an object.. I haven't seen anything within the shop SOP to figure out how I can control this.. it only gives an option for height.

I'm finding this to be a very strange problem as this sort of thing is pretty standard in a software package like this but it is eluding me here.

Hi,

Try using the UV tools to edit the UVs perhaps?

I don't think the UV would be applicable here as I already have the UV set up for the object.. I just need to figure a way to change the number of tiled displacement maps to show for each UV area, I think I am just going to use this program called xnormal to bake the displacement maps onto the object as it seems Houdini has basically no support for using custom displacement maps.

Thanks for the help.. actually I see now how this could be done within the UV settings.. just didn't realize this because I used to do it a different way in another program but I think doing it through the UV is actually the best way.. will also give ezz's way a shot.

You can use a "Shading Layer Parameter" vop if you want to read the UV you have applied to the surface.

If you are using the s and t those are the parametric "uv" of the surface and they never change, although as suggested you can multiply them inside the shader to control the scale.