glass shatter

Aks

Hi all,

this is my first post.

first of all, big thanks to all the community members!

i am new to Houdini, & am not sure i am doing perfect with this shot.

i am trying to break glass & other elements of a building (attached image)

shot is - a heavy object hitting glass building.

for front row of glass, simulation is taking +30min for a frames after collision, just to shatter glass,(floor & piller still to be done)

is this right amount of time for this geometry?

any other way (easy to control) do achieve this result?

(attached .hipnc file)

m using Quad core2.2, 4GB, Win2008 x64,

Thanks in advance... :)

post-4697-125120218926_thumb.jpg

glass_shater_od.hipnc

Edited by Aks

Welcome!

That does seem a bit of a long sim. I looked at your file, but none of the geo being read by File SOPs were there for obvious reasons. You can "bake" the geo into the SOP itself by toggling on the red flag of the File SOP. I had a look at your scene, and one likely reason that your sims are taking awhile is you unchecked the "Use Volume Based Collision Detection" on your rbd objects. Unless the geometry you are bringing in is a flat plane, then you want to keep this ticked on. How many pieces is in your glass rbd glue DOP?

Hi all,

this is my first post.

first of all, big thanks to all the community members!

i am new to Houdini, & am not sure i am doing perfect with this shot.

i am trying to break glass & other elements of a building (attached image)

shot is - a heavy object hitting glass building.

for front row of glass, simulation is taking +30min for a frames after collision, just to shatter glass,(floor & piller still to be done)

is this right amount of time for this geometry?

any other way (easy to control) do achieve this result?

(attached .hipnc file)

m using Quad core2.2, 4GB, Win2008 x64,

Thanks in advance... :)

Edited by SpencerL

Welcome!

That does seem a bit of a long sim. I looked at your file, but none of the geo being read by File SOPs were there for obvious reasons. You can "bake" the geo into the SOP itself by toggling on the red flag of the File SOP. I had a look at your scene, and one likely reason that your sims are taking awhile is you unchecked the "Use Volume Based Collision Detection" on your rbd objects. Unless the geometry you are bringing in is a flat plane, then you want to keep this ticked on. How many pieces is in your glass rbd glue DOP?

Thanx SpencerL,

Your last question gave the solution! :)

number of pieces created by “refine” was too much, now sim time is reduced much,

My glass object is flat, that’s why i disabled "Use Volume Based Collision Detection", but do I have to enable it, coz of colliding object is not flat?

Thanx again!

Cheers.

Thanx SpencerL,

Your last question gave the solution! :)

number of pieces created by “refine” was too much, now sim time is reduced much,

My glass object is flat, that’s why i disabled "Use Volume Based Collision Detection", but do I have to enable it, coz of colliding object is not flat?

Thanx again!

Cheers.

if your object is something that has an interior then you will want to turn "Use Volume Based Collision Detection" for that object. I believe your "projectile" object is a sphere, so for that object you do need to turn it on.

Hey Aks, sorry I haven't seen your hip file yet, but one way I'd run glass is just using particles, it would be a lot quicker to drive the big glass chunks with particles, rather than running an expensive RBD sim, and even with the Collision pop and Interact Pop you should be able to fake the collision a little bit to make that sort of effect.

if your object is something that has an interior then you will want to turn "Use Volume Based Collision Detection" for that object. I believe your "projectile" object is a sphere, so for that object you do need to turn it on.

Spencer: yes, there are some interior, have to work with "Use Volume Based Collision Detection" :)

Hey Aks, sorry I haven't seen your hip file yet, but one way I'd run glass is just using particles, it would be a lot quicker to drive the big glass chunks with particles, rather than running an expensive RBD sim, and even with the Collision pop and Interact Pop you should be able to fake the collision a little bit to make that sort of effect.

Hi Ratman,

i have read about this method, m still new to Houdini particle system, not gone deep into as of yet,

if you can help me to get started with this method, will help me to finish this shot.

one of my friend suggested try with copy sop with pre-fractured geo, :unsure:

cheers...